A little help..Anchorage area

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by chad, Sep 4, 2017.

1. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Mechanicsville, MD
    My son is stationed at Ft Richardson and this is his first year there. How does he know what areas are legal to hunt in? He's found birds in potholes all around the area, but isn't sure if he can set up on them or not. The state website has very little on waterfowl. Not looking for anyone's secret spot, but just some guidance to keep from having to visit his 1st Sgt.
  2. Grizzly1

Grizzly1 Refuge Member

Mar 27, 2011
    Fairly sure there is a conservation officer on base, they use to have hand-outs that show open/closed areas on base lands.
  3. bigcans

bigcans Refuge Member

May 22, 2014
    geeze sorry I hadn't checked in to AK flyway but what I know is limited...I live in sterling for 5 yrs and in palmer, Wasilla for 1. It's too far to drive to Skilack lake on the kenai peninsula. just before you get to Sterling. it's dangerous and if the winds start up like the sign says at the boat ramp..it's better to sleep in your boat on shore and come home alive then not to come home at all. That can be said for everywhere in Alaska.

I hunted the kenai flats by the bridge but your son is better off learning a few lakes in palmer & the palmer hay flats. must be watchful of the tides. have survival gear, and if he has a dog, make sure you have a dog vest for him or her. it's a cold sob and winds over talkettna mountains are fierce. Oh I miss the cold and wind. it's a ******* but most of your birds I'm sure are gone by now. those lakes above palmer if they are not frozen over would be good IF your kid has a boat. There also is a lake slightly east of palmer on the lower hwy going east. I just plum forgot the hwy but u hit it right off parks hwy before the palmer exit. he an hunker down but I only hunted if a few times from shore and I have pics of it but nothing came in to me. Never fired a shot. Have a good Christmas