A long interesting reply from the WDFW

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by sully, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

It seemed maybe they were more spread out then? It seems this year has been consistent action on snows. Granted I don't get to hunt them as much as I did when I lived there but in December, i had some great hunting and it was the first time in a couple years I've seen that many in my hunting areas, though they have spread out to other areas and maybe I didn't notice the past several years. My dad is still over there and has been sending lots of pictures. I'm headed over there tonight with what seems like good numbers still to be hunting and in years past it's been tough. Go back 10 years and those were the glory days and if we compared numbers now to then it's not even comparable.

Sully, i hear on you on the closure. It closed at what was probably our first and only big cold snap so it brought a lot down, but hopefully that 6 snow goose limit eased some of the pain on the snows you might of not shot during those 11 days.

Lets not forget that it wasn't that long ago that it was 3 snows and the season closed the first week of January. Talk about torture watching thousands upon thousands of geese the last 3 weeks of duck season landing in your duck spread all the time.

2. fataldeducktion

fataldeducktion Refuge Member

Don Kraage??????????He's the section waterfowl Biologist that supported the REGION 2 Biologists and Managers plans which have sunken Waterfowl hunting in the basin.It didn't happen overnight but it seems like these people come and go leaving no improvements for there legacy.Same thing going on again.
    Kyle Spragens is new and surprisingly he doesn't know jack regarding our states waterfowl history.Where do they get these guys??

3. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

I can't even imagine the difference in numbers 10 years ago vs now. They were few back than, and the limits/seasons were restricted. Now, if you go back 35 years ago, those were the days of lots of snow geese!

4. sully

sully Elite Refuge Member

5. dekecarver

dekecarver Elite Refuge Member

I don't recall the year, but, some years ago there was a public meeting in Conway, at the school East of I-5. The meeting was about Snow Geese, their population troubles, agricultural conflicts, future numbers... At the meeting it was stated that about 60% of the Wrangell population wintered in California. Sacramento Valley I believe. The other 40% of the Wrangell population wintered between the Fraser River and Skagit River Estuaries, mostly Fraser River, depending on weather. The California geese were field feeders, while the Skagit/Fraser geese were still feeding on the bay front. The biologist said that due to changing agriculture in California, the population was shifting with less geese wintering in California, and more wintering North in the Fraser/Skagit. The anticipation was that eventually the wintering population in these areas would shift, with the majority of birds wintering in Fraser/Skagit.
    If this was true, it was be my guess that the California population, conditioned to feeding on fields, would, as they shifted North, change the feeding patterns of the Fraser/Skagit population. This shift in diet habits would prevent over use of the bay front food resource, but, would create agricultural impacts (whatever those might be).
    Also, in the mid-80's DU was forecasting, in their writings, that weather and habitat changes that were being foreseen, would favor Goose Production rather than Duck Production. That goose populations would continue to grow, while duck populations would decline.
    It seems as though we are seeing these effects in front of our eyes.
    It may also be possible that we are seeing a westward shift due to the hunting pressure in the flyways East of ours.
    It may also be that the increased hunting pressure in these flyways has the same effect on snow geese as heavy management pressure has on coyotes... more and higher numbers of coyotes.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Here is what I know about Kyle. Grew up in the Pacific Flyway (California). A waterfowler. Worked for years for USGS and USFWS. His area of specialty was geese. He may be getting acclimated to Washington state, but I believe he does know Pacific Flyway geese.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. Snowgoose1

Snowgoose1 Refuge Member

I've hunted the Snows for 35 years. I've seen them spread out in eating different crops now. The numbers are crazy to the 3 limit days and the season that ended in December or early January. I understood the need for the cards. I don't understand the need for cards now. It's a rip off of our money. The comment to help pay for surveys. Well they still do survey flights for ducks/Canada geese why don't they charge us for those and do a card too. I bet the eastern Washington goose hunters would get real excited to start punching cards for Canada geese. It was totally correct to need a card when they were keeping an eye on the low numbers. Now the numbers are off the charts. They reply about the Skagit flock numbers, but what about the other areas. They have spread out much farther than that which would make that 120,000 number seem low. It doesn't seem that the number of hunters has increased a bunch, but they enjoy the money we spend for the card that really doesn't need to be used anymore. Send your letters in, request change.

sully likes this.
  8. LndShrk

LndShrk Moderator Boats Blinds Gadgits

Curt,
    That is exactly how I read this and agree the management credibility should very much be in question. This clearly illustrates the exact reason why this card system is not needed.
    If your numbers are correct that the latest population is at 300,000 this is a complete joke.

9. sully

sully Elite Refuge Member

Another thing about a February hunt is the bird watching season will be in full swing on fir island.
    It will be great publicity for the wdfw and hunters.....

10. mrbill

mrbill Elite Refuge Member

Great publicity, NOT!