A season to remember.......Riley's last Jr season

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Calikev, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I have to admit there were a couple of tears shed on the very last hunt this year as this would be the last Jr. season for Riley. She has had some wonderful hunts over the past 7 years and I watched her during that time blossom into a beautiful young woman. This year was especially enjoyable as we had my daughter Paige out with us more as well, so we got to enjoy the company of our little "Spark Plug".......

This year began in NE Cal with two amazing days and throughout the course of the season we had many up's and down's with the way migration was this year. We definitely had more ups than downs but there were lots of long hunts this year that usually resulted in decent straps for us. I cherish the days I can have my daughters out with me as life is so short and unpredictable that you have to seize the moment when that short little window is there for you. I cannot tell you how much these hunts mean to our family and these memories will hang with all of us for a lifetime. It is much more than just hunting for us as there are life lessons being taught through hunting that teaches them patience, perseverance, and many other important things that will help them in other aspects of their lives. My wife really wasn't a believer in that aspect of it but these lessons have shown themselves in how Riley and Paige are as people as teaching them to be good sportswomen carries over. I have not been alone in this mentoring as I've had great friends like Blackdog58, Drakecaller, Hayudog, Let Em Work, Baker Man, Mike Larsen, AnotherMike who have also helped provide guidance and advice to my kids. All of that has been very much appreciated.

So as Riley rides off into her soon to be adulthood I draw back on the words of Frost. These words really make me think about how quick the moment gets by us and to enjoy every minute of every hunt which can be challenging on public ground sometimes. I always come back to this though:

Nature’s first green is gold,
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leaf’s a flower;
    But only so an hour.
    Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kevin

MQ, RemSpt58, Real Green and 28 others like this.
  2. Luigi Daniele

Luigi Daniele Elite Refuge Member

NorCal: watching the specks and sprig work
    Way to go Dad (and Riley):clap

Calikev likes this.
  3. Calikev

It was also a season of many firsts for her:

First speck:

[​IMG]

First Drake can and Drake can limit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First snow:

[​IMG]

Kevin

RemSpt58, circlehooker, Mort and 9 others like this.
  4. OGblackcloud

OGblackcloud Elite Refuge Member

Looks and sounds like you have done very well with your daughters. I have seen some pictures on here of other hunts you have shared . Well done Dad ! No matter how old they are in your heart they will always be your little girl.

Calikev likes this.
  5. Calikev

They grow way too fast..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a special thanks to Green with Ring for her very first longbeard years ago. There have been many more since then with the help from other folks here like Sweatliner or Hayudog as well. She still has one more Jr. Turkey hunt season left.........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    RemSpt58, circlehooker, Mort and 6 others like this.
  6. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Epic :clap:clap:clap

Calikev likes this.
  7. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

Kevin

THIS is why so many of us love to hunt.

Having your kids hunt with you is one of the most amazing experiences a person could have.

And for your daughters wanting to hunt with you is icing on the cake!

Your thread should be required reading for every parent that hunts. Taking kids along Takes ‘effort’’..... but the payoff is so great!

You taught your girls that hunting happens all season long. No waiting for junior hunts only for you! That’s impressive to me.

Your efforts as a mentor in the marsh... and more importantly as a DAD, will last your lifetimes together and beyond.

Well done..,. WELL done

:bow

8. thekillerofmallard

thekillerofmallard Elite Refuge Member

There's nothing to say.:bow:bow:bow:clap:clap:clap

Calikev likes this.
  9. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for sharing

Calikev likes this.
  10. Kurt Baer

Kurt Baer Senior Refuge Member

I, like many others, have really enjoyed the photos over the years. Love that poem too. Actually memorized it years ago because it touched me so.

Calikev likes this.