Decoy Forum Sponsors

Academy gadwall dekes

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by stevena198301, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Do you hunt a bay that's 30 square miles of open water?

You hunt in your world, I'll hunt in mine...

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

30 square miles... That ain't no bay that's the dang Pacific Ocean!

3. Billy Bob

That's a cautious estimate and it's only one side. :l The other side is bigger.

Tuleman likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Big,black and UGLY works on all ducks, it has for many, many years in some of the most highly pressured areas in CA..................YUP!!!
    I bought some of these ugly buggers a few years ago, they are HUGE 26'' long 11'' wide. The paint sucks but I don't care about the paint. I wanted HUGE for an off flight area that I hunt, they are bigger than a goose floater.:yes:l:l:l And they are pretty light for their size.:yes

5. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Maybe. Maybe not.

I’ve seen people on here and elsewhere criticizing plastics that “look small”. Heck, most carvers make mallards 15-16”, and bluebills at least 12...if they enter life size birds in contests, they look like minis.

How many buffies have you seen carved or molded life size? Most are seriously oversized. A hen Buffy is like 8-9” long...

If it was sheer numbers and ducks can’t tell the difference, why not run 500 teal sized mallard decoys?

I think a lot of hunters are governed by price point....the old $30 a dozen Flambeau aqua keels versus the $75 a dozen Flambeau weighted keel mags...or G&H. Or at least were moreso in the past...

Billy Bob likes this.
  6. Billy Bob

Great points. Remember Flambeaus teal decoys painted as mallards and called mini mallards in the mid 80's for 1 year? Total flop. Other reasons other than price point that so many are limited to lifesize decoys is transportation. Very few people that have to pack decoys on their back will pack in mags or supermags and many hunt small seclude areas such as small ponds and places that the birds are already going where large decoys aren't needed. So judging if large decoys work by the sales numbers is a moot point. If I hunted in timber I would use nothing but oversize, magnum or supermag decoys.

After thought: another reason size can't be judged by sales numbers is that twice as many life size are needed.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

[​IMG]

8. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

While I didn't buy any of the Academy Gaddies, I bought some of their coots, pintails etc and they've been ok
    this first year.
    I know they were really cheap to buy, and aren't made HD, they are lighter plastic. There is a place for these in different cases.

Ringbill

9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

I'm not trying to dismiss anything, truthfully.

My own theory has always been to be something different enough to get the birds' attention. If everyone down here runs 3 dozen mallards in the timber, then maybe a dozen mallards and 2 dozen black jugs is better...or a dozen super mag mallards...or even a couple bluebills/cans, just to have that bright white stand out.

If everyone is running 6 dozen mallards and a dozen pintails in the rice fields, then again...black jugs, coots, shoveler decoys, or no mallard decoys at all...don't know.

freefall and Billy Bob like this.
  10. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

What do you guys think has more drawing power? A tight bunch or spread out? Same number of decoys, same size. Not talking about finishing just getting ducks to turn off thier line. Open water or field.