Acorn tree hunting

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by Juan De, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

Have any of you guys ever found an acorn tree that was visited more regularly than normal? What I mean by this is I went on walkabout in my deer woods at end of the season 2 years ago and stumbled upon a trail that was used so much that none of the leaves would make a sound when you walked the path. I followed to the top of a hill covered with white oak trees. The trail led directly to one tree which appeared as if someone had walked around it with a garden rake for about 30ft or so that there was bare dirt. There was nothing like that at any of the other trees on that hill. Saw some nice deer there season before last, and hunted it again this season and it payed off. This is the second biggest deer I have ever seen in the woods with the first being at that same location 3 weeks earlier but couldn’t get a shot.

Attached Files:

widgeon likes this.
  2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Nice buck! I have seen trees like that. My brother found a big swamp Chestnut oak. The deer love it.

3. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

Th
    Thanks man, it is hard to hunt anyplace else besides that stand I promise. The amount of traffic through there is crazy. The deer in the pic I actually saw out of that stand the year before and he had grown up considerably. The deer I mentioned seeing there before that was bigger was shot by a neighboring land owner. That deer netted 142 I was told

widgeon likes this.
  4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Pretty common for site conditions to create a tree they prefer. Sometimes it's a tree and that produces a better crop, other times it's the setting they feel comfortable. But it's often more than just finding the right oak, it's the oak that they prefer for whatever reason.

5. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

There's nothing wrong with spending a few bucks on tree fertilizer spikes for your favorite oaks,some years it can make a lot of difference.

Greg

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Make sure the tree is producing every year as some are bi-annual in mast production.