Advice on next dog (long question)

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Laboratory, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

There is Sauk River Labs in MN.
    (Now, I'll quit bugging you)

Laboratory likes this.
  2. Laboratory

Laboratory Senior Refuge Member

I am leaning toward a Llewellin line of English Setter. Supposed to be less high strung than most Setter/Pointers and they tend to work closer. Ideally I would have a setter and a Lab but wife says one dog only. May even have to wait for Salem to die first, but I'd like a young dog in the wings or I may die before I am hunting again!

Mainly, wondering what training techniques I can use from SmartWorks.

3. Laboratory

I guess a dog can be flown in from anywhere... Last one flown in from Kansas.

Wirehaired Pointing Griffon get high marks but boy those are some ugly dogs! No offence to any WPG owners out there!

4. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

..........followed by "It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" seems rather consistent. :doh :dv

Good luck on your quest for a "purty" dog.. :h

5. Laboratory

I did more research on the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon and I like what I am reading, so they are on list. Seems they do both upland and waterfowl. But the big bonus is they are very light shedders and have a calm personality for the house. This would help big time with convincing the wife on this breed. She hates the constant fur explosion from my Lab.

I have never seen one in the wild so will need to actually look at one, but I can live with an ugly dog if they do the job. I am sure they are like an ugly baby, once its yours it is the cutest baby in the world.

Gundogmag website has a good article on them. The article hints that they are fairly difficult to train and I am not sure if I could use SmartWorks training techniques on one (my original question..)
    -------------------
    “They have tons of natural ability and they always figure a way out,” continues Roca. “I have trained several breeds besides griffons and griffons require a totally different approach. The average pro trainer does not want to mess with them, and as a result there are only a couple in the country who are having good results with them in competitive events. “The problem is the time factor,” Roca continues. “You simply cannot rush a griffon.

They do things on their own schedule…maybe. But when you get a good one, you need nothing but a gun and some shells. Of course, you also need to be a respectable wingshooter because they won’t hesitate to give you dirty looks if you miss.”
    --------------------------------------------

The article also says they are a fairly rare breed and it might be difficult to find a well bred hunting Griffon.

6. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

I have a buddy with 2 griffons, and another buddy has one. The guy with 2 tries really hard with his but to me they are not impressive. I have assisted with the training, and I personally wasn't impressed with the breed. They guy with just the one has a calm house dog but hit the woods and it is so boneheaded. His got on a deer and with the collar at max couldn't stop her. Took him 3 days to find her.

Laboratory likes this.
  7. Laboratory

Is the Griffon a soft dog not well suited to the SmartWorks training techniques?

Same question for the Llewellin Setters breed.

Anyone have a Drahthaar ? They seem like a good dog but may be too aggressive as a house dog.. I think they could handle pressure training well though.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. HUNT24/7

HUNT24/7 Senior Refuge Member

I have a DD, really like him but he needs daily exercise for sure, I used a combination of Smartworks, Perfect Start, Perfect Finish & some of my own ideas to train him. I hunt waterfowl, upland, rabbits & also blood track big game with him.

Constructeur and Laboratory like this.
  9. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

I had a Ryman setter and a GSP... the former was the worst dog I've ever had self-centered, self hunter, sharp on some people. The latter was too much dog for me at the time.

That said, I'm on my 4th Drahthaar. With her, I hunt what is in season, supplement with a decent preserve, and though not a DD "fanatic" wouldn't have another dog/breed.

To address your post, I hunt primarily upland and waterfowl. My current pup has the least training and has the most game under her collar. She is not FF, but has never lost a retrieve. And, last season she recovered 2 birds from other hunting parties in the public impoundments that we hunt. Both shot well before we arrived and tracked on water for 20 minute recoveries.

For upland, she has a big search... does well on sharptails and pheasants in the Dakotas. And, I've had 20 minute walks guided by GPS to find her on point in the heavy cane here in NC (150 to 180 yards from me). BTW she's not broke, either... just has a lot of point in her.

As far as sharpness, she is a gentle giant with other dogs. We have 40 dogs in a training lease, and she's the least likely to start a fight. She has retrieved to date 2 live opossums, 1 live skunk, and a fawn... all unharmed. I stunned a few squirrels with a pellet gun that bit her, and she responded in equal and opposite force! DOA.

In the home, she's got the switch... for all of the drive and search she is calm and collected in the home, at the pub, or under the table in a restaurant... At my former job, she laid calmly behind my desk while associates came/went or while I was out of the office.

She is not perfect, but she has been the lowest maintenance hunting dog/DD that I've had. I love her to death and wouldn't trade her for anything.

I researched her for years, judged a fair amount of dogs, told only a couple of handlers I'd be interested if they bred... her dad was the nicest male DD I'd ever judged. The cross of him and a really nice German import have not disappointed me.

Personally, I prefer the pointing dog to the flushing dog... the former can cover more ground efficiently for you without you having to be within a shot's distance of it for each and every acre. I prefer the genetics of a proven pointing breed over that of a breed bred to retrieve that has small pockets of genetics that point (no disrespect to the "pointing" lab). And, I have never been disappointed by any of my DDs for their performance on waterfowl.

In closing, one must exercise due diligence in selecting a hunting partner... especially the DD.

Take your time.

Find a breeder that breeds the type of dog that suits your hunting style... not one caught up in test scores, profits, and the stud of the month. Press hard on the questions... you can sort out the "breeders" from the real "hunters", and you want to get your next pup, regardless of breed from a HUNTER!!!!

Good luck and best regards,

3ds

HUNT24/7 likes this.
  10. darealdeal

darealdeal New Member

Just go ahead and get a GSP.... Solve all you problems with one dog.... It is called the most versatile gun dog for a reason.