Advice on next dog (long question)

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Laboratory, Sep 12, 2017.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

No, I have not found a DVD program like Smartworks for versatile breeds, but (and this is my overall point) I think that's largely because the approach to training is different. Your PP likely won't do well with long, repetitive training sessions. You likely won't need to handle it in the water. You likely won't want a dog that looks to you for decision making or being told where to go and when to go. Versatile training is all about fostering ingrained instincts to work for (and with) you when hunting...not to drill it into a regimented machine. You certainly will need to train your dog...but the approach is different.

No, you PP won't arrive ready to hunt. You're going to need to steady it up on point....but you won't need to teach it to point. You're going to need to stop it from breaking on retrieves....but you (hopefully) won't to need to build the drive and desire to retrieve. And you aren't going to need to direct it like a traffic cop once the dog is sent. And you don't want to stifle the independence and confidence that it will need to cover ground, learn/follow scents, and figure out how to pin running birds or avoid bumping them.

Exposure is going to be a MUCH better training tool for you than any program. These dogs hunt with far more independence....and your individual dog's personality and drive will dictate A LOT of how you train it. That's why I don't think a "one size fits all", color by the numbers approach is lends itself well to these dogs.

2. Laboratory

Laboratory Senior Refuge Member

Good info, thanks!

3. Labsforme

Labsforme Senior Refuge Member

FYI Bodo Winterhelt was the Pudelpointer proponent first. Although there was a schism later on between Bodo and the US Pudelpointer organization.He and Bob formed NAVHDA. I knew Bodo and was in NAVHDA in So Cal in the early 70s. FF is FF and pretty much for all breeds.Farmer/Ayecock is good too.The NAVHDA training has FF as well.

Have fun,
    Jeff G

4. 3drahthaars

3drahthaars Elite Refuge Member

I think that if you read Bob Ferris' book you will realize that SmartWork would not be the best fit for a PP. Specifically, the parts that show pup being smacked in the muzzle. I'd highly recommend Bill Hillman's DVD for training the pup... SW is good to teach the trainer a methodical regimen...

5. Laboratory

Laboratory Senior Refuge Member

I don't remember anything about smacking in the muzzle in Smartwork training.

However, I am reading Bob Ferris's book and he swats his dogs in the nose with a fly swatter to discipline. I would never hit my dog in the face because the shy away at a raised hand. The rest of the book is very good.

I am a visual learner when it comes to training and just spent $150 on Perfect Start, Perfect Finish. I will supplement with Smartwork training.

I watched the first 25 minutes of perfect start but he is working with untrained older dogs that have not had any OB training, know how to do the most basic fetch as in throw object and dog bring it back - or have seen a bird. I was hoping perfect start would start from a puppy, so I will need to watch the Smartwork puppy video. (hard to watch videos or do work and watch puppy, very rambunctious!)