Advise

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Butte Sink, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Butte Sink

Butte Sink Senior Refuge Member

Hello All,
    I posted this on the CA forum earlier today.
    Was hoping I could get some opinions and maybe past experiences, that you may have had with UC DAVIS.
    My BLM for quite sometime has had an issue with his eating. Not an acutual problem eating, he’s a typical lab but a problem with bloating and maintaining his weight.
    His go to vet is Sage and we have done quite few test “intestanal video”, blood work etc. to check this issue and they have not really come up with a solution except saying his has “protein” issue and lacks a “vitamin” which I give him a shot once a month to cover.
    They never have mentioned to me a possible “IBM” and that has me scared.
    His spirt and drive are of the norm, no issues at all and he had a busy season and as in the past, he’s just turned 4, has always slimmed his weight down during season but this year I can not put any additional weight on him and it’s got me really concerned.
    We have gone through so many different types of foods trying to find something to keep him comfortable but what seems to have been the best for him is venison coming from Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. This is a prescription food and not cheap in anyway, 28lbs— $98.00 but the cost doesn’t matter. With Canin he still bloots from time to time and his gas will blow up the house!
    This past week in rush to get out of the house I forgot his food. We had new bag of Purina Pro “sport” at the club and he’s been eating it for roughly a week now. We found its best to feed him small servings a cup at a time. PPS is is high in protein 30% & 18% fat. Strange now that he has been been eating the PPS, no bloating at all but he was eating this when he was roughly a year old and had issues.
    He’s 60lbs soaking wet and is eating 5-6 cups a day.
    I’m lost on this and would love to find an answer to help him
    Anyway I was thinking of getting another opinion and questioned if UC Davis maybe the right approach?
    Any advise would be much appreciated

Thanks

2. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Do you give this dog good probiotics and digestive enzymes ?
    What vitamin are you injecting ?

3. Butte Sink

Butte Sink Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Doc
    No on the P/D, Sorry not even sure what they are.
    His shots are “Vitamin B”

4. TCFarmer

TCFarmer Senior Refuge Member

You might want to cut his food. My 70lb lab doesn't get that much food. I feed her 3-3 1/2 per day and bump it up to 4 when we hunt.

The bag says that for a dog 50-75 lbs they should be fed 2-3 1/3 cups per day.

A couple other things, how often are you feeding? Is the bowl elevated?