Am enjoying our trip to Montana

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

Rained here in Ennis again this afternoon, but overall was a beautiful day with no smoke.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Our Montana trip was fun. Billings, Red Lodge, Beartooth Highway, Cooke City and on to our vacation rental home in Emigrant, MT. 20 minutes from Gardner and the south entrance of Yellowstone and 10 minutes from Chico Hot Springs. We were in and out of Yellowstone a few times. Enjoyed the hot baths and food at Chico. Air quality was better the farther East we went and was great by the time we got to Yellowstone and the Paradise Valley.

It's informative to have a geologist along who went to school in Montana and continues to work in mining there, when you go to Yellowstone. That would be our daughter.

3. Mean Gene

Definitely not lake fishing weather here right now. Had this funny looking white stuff on the truck this morning. Blew hard the last 2 days and it's supposed to blow again the next 2. Makes it kinda tough to be out on the lake in a float boat. :l

4. Mean Gene

Got in 2 days of fishing Sunday and Monday, although yesterday was abbreviated due to wind. Netted 21 and farmed 6 over those 2 days with fish 16-22 inches. I'm kinda thinking the weather man didn't get the memo that this area is supposed to have really nice weather in September though as it's looking like a chance of snow for Th/F. Gonna have to have a talk with them on that one. :l

5. Big Sky

Big Sky Senior Refuge Member

Pretty windy here today, too. Looking at the weather forecast, it seems like we jumped straight from summer into late fall...I’m definitely not complaining.

I always say I’m gonna do some fall fishing, it really is the best time of year. But then bird season kicks in and I forget all about it.

Sounds like you’re into some nice fish.

6. Mean Gene

The small fish here are nicer than what I was used to catching in California. :l Yesterday it rained and blew hard, so I tied a box full of squirrel leeches. Got in a little fishing this morning, but they're talking snow tomorrow so that sounds like a good laundry day. Weather dudes say by the end of next week it'll be back up to near 70, but I have to be out of here by the weekend. No problem, we have this space rented for the entire year so I'll be back in May. :tu