Any cool grandpa pics? I found one..

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Mar 29, 2018.

1. DkKiller&Max

DkKiller&Max Elite Refuge Member

IMG_4487.JPG IMG_4488.JPG IMG_4489.JPG
    Dad and grandpa in the first pic, guessing grandpas friend and son along for the pack trip as well.

Dad by himself then friend of grandpa for the last pic.

I had never seen these photos until a few weeks ago while taking care of my elderly father. Found a few more Sunday.

Really cool to see grandpa because growing up there was some bad blood/feud going on that I was kept out of. I spent only one weekend of my life with my grandfather. At the age of 8 grandpa dad and I went for a three day weekend catching a TON of fish. I remember that weekend well.

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

He actually grew up in San Francisco, he used to hunt rabbits in the sand dunes where Golden Gate Park is now, he also hunted "Hunters Point" in SF. My grandfather used to take the ferry from SF to Sausalito, then the train out to Buchli station, he walked in from there. The ark belonged to a moonshiner who passed away and my grandfather took it over. When he got a little older, in his words, "I'd mooch a Model T and take it to Sausalito on the ferry then drive in, you always had to have a couple spare tires and patch kits, as soon as we got off the highway we'd put a guy on the fender with a .22 and shoot a couple rabbits on the way in so we dinner the first night." He also told me that the fishermen would break in during the off season, he didn't mind that too much, except they'd light a fire in the stove and burn his decoys to keep warm! Eventually, in the late 30's the creek undercut the ark and it fell into the slough. My current house (which I inherited from him) is very near where he used to hunt, when I was a kid we went looking for the ark/remnants a couple times, but it's long gone. I hunted with him until he was 85, he passed at 91. My grandmother lived to 100, they were both survivors of the Great Quake in SF. He also hunted Sears Point, there was a guy out there with a bunkhouse and for $1 a day you got a bunk, a place to cook, a leaky boat, and a dozen decoys. I have a very old Model 12 that used to belong to a market hunter in Larkspur.

3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

1895s were lever guns that had a fixed box style magazine. Designed to shoot Spitzer type bullets.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Working long hours - brain fart - yes 1897. The one in my safe had metal fatigue and was fixed via solder, welding and other processes. Needless to say I will never put a shell in it and pull the trigger. It was my wife's Grandpas shotgun.

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Flyfisher nice photo of your Grandfather with his Springer. I have a photo of my Grandfather with his Springer in the 1920's. My current Springers have direct bloodlines.

6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

I miss my gramps.. both of them.. such great outdoorsmen..I learned so much from them at such a early age.. Thank you both so much for passing on to me your love of the great outdoors..

DSC07979.JPG DSC07980.JPG DSC07982.JPG DSC07985.JPG DSC07981.JPG

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  7. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

And the Grandmas and women of the family they were always there too...

DSC07986.JPG

DSC07987.JPG DSC07984.JPG

8. fighthedude

fighthedude Senior Refuge Member

F0055D3F-EFE5-461D-8DDF-1C5A90821D33.jpeg Grandpa. Never met him.

WHUP ! Hen, grndslm, George and 2 others like this.
  9. Canyoncrosser

Canyoncrosser Refuge Member

Grandpa was a great guy! That’s me playing in the background...

Attached Files:

10. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

LMAO