Any cool grandpa pics? I found one..

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Powder

Powder Elite Refuge Member

My grandfather on the left, uncle in the center, and dad on the right. This hunt took place on what is now Auburn Lake Trails in Cool during the late 60’s. 4D8A7AE3-6D42-4913-882D-EFC3FA0DBBFB.jpeg

2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

My grandpa still hunting hard at 73. Killed his second California pronghorn last year, as well as this white tail.

CADUCKWHACKER, Mort and API like this.
  3. ilovesprig

ilovesprig Senior Refuge Member

Me and my grandpa at the Colorado River circa 1954....Little did I know, I would shoot my 1st buck with that Savage Mod. 99 six years later.

ps....I still have that tacklebox at the back of the trailer full of wooden plugs.

. scan130.jpg

4. orarcher

orarcher Refuge Member

All cool pics !!!

5. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

When my Grandfather passed away 50 years ago I found this old photo up in the barn. The photo shows three Lake Trout that my Great Grandfather caught in 1889. My GGF and my GF were carpenters, hunting/fishing guides, and owned a barbershop in Lakeport, New Hampshire. I remember the barbershop. They had a wooden wall gun rack about 16' long with about 40 rifles and shotguns. They rented the long guns out to hunters who came up from the Boston area.
    The Lake Trout were caught in Lake Winnisquam N.H. April 28, 1889, the big trout on the left is 3' long and weighed 20 1/2 lbs, the other two trout are 2' long and weighed 3 1/2 and 4 lbs. Their hanging on old rope stringers. That is a big lake and in winter it freezes with a couple feet of ice. I remember my uncle taking me(10 y/o)in his truck out to his shack ice fishing. It was an 8'x8' shack with a window, door, woodstove, removable floorboards where you would chip away the ice that formed since the last time he was there. A stiff metal rod (1/8") about 18" long was attached to the wall and fishing line tied to the end of the flexible rod. He had a few holes outside too. We caught several small trout. Great memories and the highlight of my 2 weeks there that winter of 1965.
    I was hoping to get one of Grandpas old Winchester 32 special lever action rifles but all the guns were gone. I got this photo and a flyrod with an automatic "Wolverine" flyreel. KIMG1825.JPG

JuvieCoot and API like this.
  6. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

In 1935 across the road from my house farmed for over 75 yrs loved it till the day he died was on a 4020 deere when he passed. he was on the 10-20 deering on the left his brothers are there with him IMG_20141227_201748413.jpg

7. DBukiah

DBukiah Senior Refuge Member

8. DBukiah

DBukiah Senior Refuge Member

Grandpa had a stroke sturgeon fishing. All he like to do was fish, smoke, drink. I believe in that order too. He had a stroke on his boat but the fishing was too good so he went out the next day (against doctors orders). Next day had a big stroke that made him paralyzed and unable to do anything for the next 9 yrs of his life. He was pissed everyday, I now know why, he just wanted to go fishing. I wish I was older I would have dragged his arse out there.

9. duk4teal

duk4teal Senior Refuge Member

Love this! My first few hunts (1970) was knee deep in pickle weed behind Mare Island

green with ring likes this.
  10. Kornfed

Kornfed New Member

IMG_3048.JPG Found this old grainy pic of my grandfather and uncle with my little snot nose in the middle. My grandpa was a good man. Stepped up when my dad went off to pay the man.

green with ring likes this.