Any help appreciated. Please share far and wide.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by H20DAD, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Sad and loss of opportunity is happening all over the country.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Thank you

3. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Senior Refuge Member

Done. Even though I don't like you.

4. H20DAD

Plenty of people who get their news from CNN use this public resource too. And if you travel down to Florida some day to hunt ducks, if the walk-in program remains, it is an excellent way to access duck hunting.

Thank you. If I can ever help in any state for the sake of public hunting I always will.

5. gnpnast

gnpnast Senior Refuge Member

6. H20DAD

Thank you.

7. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Who is the pressure coming from? Just curious what the "logic" is behind this.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Good luck trying to convince FWC to change it's mind on anything, after living in SW Florida for a while I learned real quick FWC is one step away from the Gestapo. Never in my life have I been treated like that anywhere in the country I have hunted, IMO they don't want you hunting in Southern Florida period and make no attempts to hide that.
    Sorry I know there's a lot of people that feel differently but I wouldn't give them the time of day down there.

9. H20DAD

To be honest there are three groups involved with this and they are all pointing the finger at each other. Nobody wants to accept responsibility so one group says it is crowding on the gravel roads at the check stations. But three of the check stations have parking lots. All are on dead end roads so they can’t claim a safety issue. They just complain about crowding during the lottery to reissue unused permits.

Another group says the issue is the expense, people breaking the rules, and people threatening the check station personnel. But, for the permits they have to have check station personnel anyway, people break rules we have law enforcement for that issue and nobody wants to work at banning the rule breakers which myself and many other duck hunters have asked for, the threatening I think relates to an incident where a check station operator was blatantly telling other hunters where one hunter was shooting ducks and the hunter yelled at him about it. There were no threats of violence just some yelling.

But one of the big reasons, imo, is that there is a pro duck hunting organization in the state that has a faction that believes in limiting hunting access to increase “quality” and “ease” of the hunting. This organizations president was recently cited for alleged baiting and in the report another regional officer of the organization was alleged to have placed the corn feeder that was photographed in the report. This faction has done a lot of work behind the scenes to shut down 24/7 hunting locations to a few days a week and reduced hours. The hunting hasn’t improved in these locations and it is a major source of friction in the state.

You can read about some of this on Florida sportsman if you’d like.

Hope this answers your questions.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    WoodieSC and hartfish like this.
  10. Duckfiend

Duckfiend Senior Refuge Member

Sent in the email and hope to hung South Florida one day but I doubt it. It is pretty far down on the list to visit for duck hunting or to move to but you never know. Anyone ever get attacked by a gator or python while duck hunting down there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.