Anybody Still Look at This Site?

Discussion in 'New England Flyway Forum' started by duck stopper, Mar 11, 2018.

1. benelli12bore

benelli12bore Senior Refuge Member

50 plus seems like a full time job to take care of. How many can you get to in a day?

2. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

Four of us worked about 6 hours just to clean out the old shavings and replace with fresh shavings and managed to do 28. Because this river reaches flood stage several times a year we have to deal with damaged houses, those that need new roofs or predator guards, etc. We expect to spend another day to finish servicing what's still there and then spend a day or two adding new boxes.
    What's really needed is more help, but many that help get a big kick out of doing it the first time and then move on to other adventures that are easier or less time consuming.

Mr.Bones likes this.
  3. plucky

plucky Refuge Member

I have not been here for long time. It’s nice to see this site is still around.

4. bill finn

bill finn Senior Refuge Member

Winnipesaukee is free of ice, time to catch some salmon!

5. duck stopper

duck stopper Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG]

Just to keep this thread going, here's an odd color jake I shot in Maine on Wednesday.

Mr.Bones likes this.
  6. JimG

JimG Elite Refuge Member

I think a lot of us old timers have dealt with things from just changing interests to major family situations... Like Bill Finn, I can't find work..... and last fall, my Stacey was complaining of back pain in October, got checked out and scheduled for surgery. Pre-op exam EKG....her new PCP says "when did you have your heart attack?"..... ***.... Instead of back surgery, she had a triple bypass surgery November 18....Back surgery followed mid December. I spent dozens of hours with her in hospital rooms and rehab facilities.... at just turned 51, she needs a cane to get around.... I found out that she'd been saving up puppy money to get a new lab....ended up going to household expenses while she was laid up. I know another guy who all he did was waterfowl hunt, had his boys into it, and his youngest is even a guide in upstate NY still. He got on a fitness kick, stopped hunting and dumped most of his gear, including his boat, to buy a bicycle. And I think most of the millennial guys, aren't into "forums" like this, maybe a few on Facebook.

7. czins95

czins95 New Member

For Jim G, I can agree a lot of millennial aren't into forums, but there are a lot of young people who have the passion and a few who find their way onto the older networks themselves (myself being one of them, moved across CT and found the forum). I think with time you will see more young people show up here as they start to connect with the culture of hunting and not just the act.

Next generation can go anyway. A lot are staunch against firearms and hunting in general yet a lot respect nature and local foods. Once they learn about hunting and how it's part of conservation, opinions change and they learn fast. I'd say education and exposure are beyond key there, and also key in getting people back on the forums. Next DU or Delta Event, tell someone about the page and they may come here. A lot of young people don't have a parent to show them the ropes and would love a place to ask questions or find an open spot in a blind.

8. JimG

JimG Elite Refuge Member

czins95 , Connecticut Waterfowlers Association, Connecticut Delta Waterfowl, a page called CT Waterfowl, Ducks Unlimited - Connecticut are all on Facebook. Seems to be a lot of the younger crowd there. One thing I can tell you is to get involved in one of the organizations, be it CWA, Delta, DU. It's where you meet people, learn the sport, and you will end up with some invites to hunt along the way.

9. Dog tired

Dog tired Refuge Member

I'm mid 30s and check in here every now and then. started out on duck hunting chat and see a lot more traffic there to this day. duckboats.net is also one I frequent but I don't get the impression that folks younger than me look to these forums for much. podcasts and youtube seem to have quite a bit of attention as theyre a little more fire and forget type thing in that you don't have to stop what you're doing and read...

just my opinion.