Anyone See This?? R.I.P in a Decoy

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by mdgundog, Jun 2, 2004.

1. mdgundog

mdgundog Senior Refuge Member

In the May 2004 Field & Stream there is a small article called R.I.P in a Decoy.. Here is the article. I thought it was a pretty cool idea and I plan on looking into it when my dog goes..

"If you have been an active sportsman all your life, you'll probably find beng dead is pretty boring - unless you're floating side by side with your dog, each in your own decoy urn. Jennings decoy in St. Cloud, Minnesota, began offering a watertight, functional decoy dog urn last fall. But designer Steve Ree says, If somebody asks, would you make one for old uncle Bob, I wouldn't have a problem. The decoy urn sells for $259, whereas the cost of a typical human urn runs $300 to $600. It's time to change your will."

2. duckbuster

duckbuster Elite Refuge Member

Is that cool or what?!:tu

3. Blackducks

Blackducks Elite Refuge Member

I have heard of guys who were cremated and then had their ashes put into their dekes so they could continue to hunt.

I have also heard of guys who after being cremated had their partners load a few specks into some shotgun shells, and then they made up a couple boxes( obviously you must be able reload ). Each opening day the partners would load up with the special shells for the first shots. That way they honored their deceased hunting partner by giving him "first shot".

I think both are pretty cool and it is in my will for me and Thunder.

4. 10 banger

10 banger Senior Refuge Member

great idea but i don't think the wife will go for it :(

5. alducks1

alducks1 Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if they would be available for our own ashes as well-bet the 'Duck Butt' design would be popular with the surviving spouses!:D

6. quack1

quack1 Senior Refuge Member

I have seen advertisements for them in either DU or Waterfowl magazines. The way some of my buddys cut loose at cripples in the decoys, I don't know if I would like to be in a decoy(even when I'm already dead).

7. mdgundog

mdgundog Senior Refuge Member

:yes :dv :yes

8. The Duck Strap

The Duck Strap Senior Refuge Member

I HAD A FRIEND OF MINE CARVE A MALLARD DRAKE DECOY TWENTY YEARS AGO. WHEN I PUT MY OLD LAB TO SLEEP LAST SUMMER I BORED A HOLE IN THE BOTTOM, PUT SOME OF HER ASHES IN THE HOLE AND EPOXIED HER LAST DOG TAG OVER THE HOLE. I HAVE ROOM FOR THREE OR FOUR MORE DOGS.

9. WonDuckLong

WonDuckLong Elite Refuge Member

When I have my will done at the Airbase That's going in my will,,I'm thinking about asking the wife if she wants to join me when her time comes,,, Second thought, He!! no I aint asking her if she wants to join,I can hear her in that decoy now---I don't know why you get up so early in the pouring rain Bla,bla, bla,,

That deek is for me only,, I wander if the wardens would site you for baiting :rolleyes:

10. snogoose

snogoose Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

"Don't shoot the decoys!"

My partner and I have talked about this sevral times. Nice to know it's possible!