Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Anyone seen Winchester Xpert Snow Goose?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Drundel, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

https://www.mackspw.com/Winchester-Xpert-Snow-Goose-12-Ga-3-1-1-4-Oz-Case

Looks to be a duplex load of #1 and #2.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Designed and advertised by the Marketing Department.....

Designed specifically with the snow goose hunter in mind.
    Notice, it does not say designed for killing snow geese. Just for the hunter.

Xpert Steel Shot – affordable performance
    That means not annealed, as most other shot is. Less cost, one less step in the process. Also means harder shot than other types. Lastly, it means it is exactly the same shot as used in other Xpert loads, which can be found for $89 a case, on sale.

Diamond Cut Wad – greater pattern density
    I'm gonna give em this one. Probably true.

High Velocity – greater knockdown energy
    Energy doesn't knock down birds. Shock transfer and soft tissue damage only exist in larger projectiles. Look at any gel penetration test for confirmation. Now, had they said 'better penetration at any given range', I could have gone with that, though beyond 35-40 yards, even that isn't true.

Grey Tube – decrease aerial visibility
    Wait. What? Are the birds now 'seeing' our empties, and flaring off from that? Why not make them white? It would look like little baby snow geese.

Available with optimized payload of #1 & #2 shot for best performance on snow geese
    I guess they are of no use on other waterfowl. Have they not done the research on duplex loads, and how they give us the worst of both worlds?

All that said, they will kill birds, if they are in range, and if you put the shot on the bird.

Just like any other steel shotshell will.

But hey, be the first one in your group to give em a try!!
    (None of this is personal to the OP- Valid post!! :tu Just some (to me) amusing thoughts.

JRS and Billy Bob like this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

All Xpert loads are duplex they are just not advertised as such. They are about 80% the advertised size and 20% 1 or 2 sizes larger or smaller. That is why so many guys hate them and part of why they are my favorite shell. The other parts being the harder shot from not being annealed and the wad. So I pretty much love Xperts for the reasons most hate them.

Buy regular Xpert 3" 1 1/4oz 1's unless you really think the extra 50 fps is worth $40-$50 more per case.

Lslu60 likes this.
  4. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

This just made me laugh out loud!!! :clap:clap:l:l

Lslu60 and Billy Bob like this.
  5. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I never understood why they don't load #1s in their 1-1/8 and 1-1/16 oz. loads. I used to buy Kent #1s until I found Federal BlueBox #1s in 1550 FPS, but I have killed ALOT of birds with cheap xpert and have always found it to pattern great. Buy it on rebate and its a great deal.

And for the white hull, that is a fanatic idea, tony nut huggers will be all over those!

Billy Bob likes this.
  6. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Yes

7. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

I had an issue with their 3 1/2" kinking/crimping and getting duds from the firing pin going off. Ran them through a SBE 3 SBE 2 and SX3. Happened in everyone.(two years ago) They backed their shells, but send me money back. I asked why that had happened and if they could back them with new shells as I had used them for years with no issues, they could not. BOught another case this year to try them, first cycle of shells had the same issue???

My guess cheaper plastic??

8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

You'd be surprised at how many guides are nazis about picking up spent hulls right away "because snow geese see everything."