Are we killing our dogs?

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by craig wilson, Apr 20, 2017.

1. craig wilson

craig wilson Elite Refuge Member

I have lost 2 dogs to cancer. Is the flea medication we give our dogs killing them?

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I don't have an idea, I hope someone can shed light on this.

3. Red Devil

Red Devil Senior Refuge Member

Try a book called "Pukka's Promise" by Ted Kerasote. You can pick it up on Amazon for $1.99. Extremely well written and researched. Sheds light directly and indirectly over your question. Not only could flea and tick medication but also regular vaccinations, early neutering, food, toys and a whole host of other causations. Not an alarmist book or a health nut book, but will give some reasoned information for you to make your decisions. Written by a guy who hunts.

4. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

Good question. I have lost three dogs to cancer. Two of them last November and one about 12 years ago. I live in the mountains but I'm wondering if something in the water at the ponds I take them to could have caused the tumors/cancer.

5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

craig I don't know, but my 3 hunting labs I have trained, none have made it to 10, usually about 9 years I lose to cancer. My last one I figured was the one, nope went from retrieving geese to death bed in 2 days, 2 months short of her 10th birthday. I have spayed, not spayed, different foods, etc. to no avail.

6. Lindy

Lindy New Member

I just lost my lab at 9 also. Doc figured a brain tumor. She went down hill fast and ultimately collapsed with seizures. Heck of a way to go....

Interesting theory about the chemicals

7. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Various "chemicals" do help our dogs, but I do think they cause a lot of problems as well.
    Personally, I prefer to not put anything in or on my dog that I don't have to.

8. choc24/7

choc24/7 Elite Refuge Member

i lost mine last year at 11. we were out at the park running and playing. dropped her off and went to run some errands and came back 45 min later and she couldn't move. it took over that quick...x-rays had a huge mass that took over every organ in her body...

9. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Sadly for me this thread hits home. My beautiful boy Cody got the death sentence two weeks ago, two days after he turned 11. Lymphoma. Great shape and had no reason to think he wouldn't have quality time in the field next year. Heartbroken would be an accurate description of my first few days. Ugh, this is going to suck.

10. Dr.J

Dr.J Senior Refuge Member

"Are we killing our dogs?"

Short answer.......NO