Baba ganoush

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by bullpinnie, Jul 28, 2018.

1. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

baba ganoush is my go to for paleo friendly summer snacking. I usually make a big batch, and eat it with raw carrots throughout the week. My kids like it with hot pita bread, or pita chips. it is easy to make. I make a fairly spicy version....Arabs like lots of char on their eggplant, but I prefer less char.

May neighbor has a hellacious garden, and has been giving eggplant all summer.

Here is my recipe. Don't bother measuring anything ( except maybe the cayenne). It will turn out.

2 large Egg plant
    1/2 cup Tahini ( or more)
    Juice of 1 lemon
    3 cloves minced garlic
    3 Tablespoons light sesame oil ( or olive oil)
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

IMG_4431.jpg
    Cut eggplant in half, and place under broiler about 10 minutes ( I broil on second rack).Remove from oven. Allow to cool slightly

IMG_4432.jpg
    Scoop eggplant pulp from skin, and place in a blender. Puree until smooth.

Place garlic and sesame oil in microwave safe dish and microwave for 1 minute. Add warm garlic oil into blender, and puree.

IMG_4430.jpg

Add cumin, and cayenne, tahini, and lemon juice to blender, and puree until smooth.

Let cool, and serve.

pintail2222 likes this.
  2. WoodMoose

WoodMoose Senior Refuge Member

I like eggplant and so shall try this - thanks!

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Sounds really good.
    Do you salt the flesh side of your eggplant before you cook them? If not you should try it, it draws a lot of the bitterness out of them. Cut in half salt flesh side heavily let sit for 15 to 20 minutes rinse well then cook as planned. I do this every time I cut into an eggplant regardless of how I will be cooking them. It's how my Grandma taught me to do it back when she ran her restaurant.

4. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

Yep, score the middle, and put a small amount of Kosher salt on it. The salt will also breakdown some of the water in the eggplant, and it will steam cook it from the underside in the oven, as the skin side is being charred.

callinfowl likes this.
  5. skiebuster

skiebuster Elite Refuge Member

man that looks gooder