Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Ballpark price for a used Merc

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by RTIC, May 28, 2019.

1. RTIC

RTIC Senior Refuge Member

Im looking at upgrading the motor on my pontoon from a 1999 Mercury 75hp 2 stroke to a new or potentially used 115 (providing its a good deal).
    I spoke with the dealer today and they offered without seeing the 75hp $700 for it. That seems a bit low but i dont deal in motors.

Anyone have any insight on used motor prices?

2. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Insight....the dealer will break it off in ya!

RTIC likes this.
  3. RTIC

Im getting that feeling after some quick research.

4. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

5. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

That motor goes for 13-1500 all day on craigslist around here.
    And that's with the assumption that it's been run in salt.
    No salt water out in your neck o' the woods.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. RTIC

7. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

It is a guideline, you can visit other shops and get a feel on pricing and you can list it online if you feel like it, it is a 20 year old motor and local demand drives local pricing, NUM70 is closer to the price maybe but the dealer is looking to make money also, he has to keep his doors open.

If you don't want the hassle of selling it yourself, see what else he is willing to kick in after you get a firm price a motor from him, installation and such.

Good luck.

Phytoplankton likes this.
  8. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

You have to realize that every boat shop, auto dealer can't just make an honest profit. They have to screw you to the wall both on your trade in a and the new sale. They always have to make a killing, not just a reasonable profit.

RTIC likes this.
  9. RTIC

Im with ya on that. I was looking over the break down and for the used motor they are offering, rigging, controls adapter and minus my trade in i would be paying $100 over the original price of the used motor.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

New Motors have been so over engineered and that they are so stupidly overpriced that the used market is also inflated. Guys want assanine prices for metal junk that they can’t even run. Vehicles, boats, outboards....the engineers have gone over the top with fuel injection on the molecule level, but this motor gets 2% more fuel efficiency. So what when it costs crazy arse $20K and shuts out so many potential sales. Outboard motors used to be functional. The Basshole crowd turn fishing boats into religious symbols. Fishing, especially freshwater fishing is more about brand recognition than simply a good time with your pals, kids, family and the fish. Just about every fresh water fishing image seen nowadays is some lonely unshaven little prince, on his electronic fiberglass horse, anointed with brand stickers and patches and telling everyone how great he is and how miniscule we all are and buy this and buy that.

GUNNERX2 likes this.