Banded Drake Bluebill

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Guthook, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

A buddy shot a banded drake bill today in Mo. IMO, these are very rare. What are the thoughts about such a specimen on this forum, true or somewhat common?

By the time he told me his companion already whacked the leg off and breasted the duck.

2. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe it's just me but I think that would make for a very poor mount.

3. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

Whats rare a bluebill or a banded one?

4. dar.k

dar.k New Member

I saw on a avian x.vidio they shot one and said it was really rare to get banded blue bills

5. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

https://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/homepage/gswhy.cfm

You can look on the above link by clicking on "banding data" and then "data summery ".
    Without looking for my certificate, I shot a banded bluebill in Dec. of 2005 (approx) that was banded the previous Spring.
    He wore a yellow nasal saddle with a black letter "C" on it.
    After contacting a few people, I found out that he was one of only 300 or so that had a yellow saddle with a black letter "C". So many others had red and blue saddles, I think, with various other letters.

Taking one of 300 drakes was like winning the Lotto.

6. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

Forty years of fowling, never seen or heard of one being shot! I’ve seen the trapping pens in Nauvoo but again never heard of one in the hand.

7. Bob Johnson

Bob Johnson Elite Refuge Member

super rare shooting any banded diver.....probably 1 banded diver shot per 1,000 banded puddlers shot!.......that's my guess........( excluding seaducks of course!!)

8. Killducks.com

Killducks.com New Member

Not to take away from your bluebill band as that is a rare find indeed. Im traditionally a small water puddle duck hunter in west Ky. Over the years I have killed nearly 20 canvasbacks on a mallard hole. Don't know why but every once in a while a couple will show up there. Its a farm pond nothing more. That said a single green head and a bull can came about 5 minutes apart. Killed both and the can was banded. According to flyways.us that was the only banded can killed in Kentucky for the year 2015. Enjoy your banded scaup... you probably will never see that again!

9. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

I have a banded Bill and a Banded Redhead and that's all the divers I have. Puddle ducks is a different story.

There for a few years on the lake I hunt there were maybe 10-15 bills with bands killed over a 3 year period I heard about. So we see some but they are few and far between in KY.

Mayes

10. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator