Bands from Guided hunt???

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BAYDOG, Mar 8, 2018.

who gets the band?

1. Hunter paying the guide

114 vote(s)
    98.3%
  2. Guide offering the hunt

2 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'm always shocked people care one way or another what another man does with bands. My grandfather died before I was born. He only duck hunted a little bit, but he had a couple of bands on a string lanyard. My father had bands on his lanyard, and virtually every duck hunting hero of mine growing up had bands on their lanyard. Before resident geese and ebay, a lanyard full of bands pretty much meant you hunted A HELL OF A LOT...nothing more.

I do have a friend who picked up two lunch sacks full of duck bands at a street market in Mexico back in the 80s. Several hundred bands for a couple of bucks. We assumed the ducks had been poisoned.

Wareagle1 likes this.
  2. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

The only problem here is, that few shooters will see and/or can claim the banded bird they actually shot, while it is in the air.

3. CanardNoir

CanardNoir Senior Refuge Member

Most band likely go unreported.

The "sack" may have been bands that were never used. But you really couldn't say without seeing them.

I have a band from a 19-20 year migration of a mallard drake, and worn to the point where the numbers were barely readable. So the condition of each band used on a duck or goose declines over time.

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

They were definitely used. Wear varied from almost new to unreadable. All were Avise bands.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Would think it varies with habitats, but the late Senior Flyway Biologist, Art Brazda, once told me discerning waterfowl lifespans was complicated by a typical band's wearing through in around twenty years.

6. dukhnter8

dukhnter8 Senior Refuge Member

Also the way they are installed on the leg determines wear pattern. Some banders swear by the D style, making the band a D on the leg so the thought is it only moves up and down. While others think keep it a circle therefore the wear varies, is not just on 2 sides and the band stays on the longest. No studies have been done which is better as far as I know, but my thought is the circle is better.

My first band and my favorite is a hen mallard I was radio tracking for most of the summer while working for DU Canada in Alberta. She was a couple days from hatching her nest before getting killed by a canine (based on tooth patterns). I don't have many, just a few I shot but I do remember the hunt from each one.