Barrows in Anchorage

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Chesapeake Boy, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Chesapeake Boy

Chesapeake Boy Elite Refuge Member

I am looking to get a December Barrows GE hunt in. Anyone from Anchorage that could help me out? Would be happy to trade hunts... Pool 9 Canvasbacks???? I would prefer to meet a new friend, not use a guide. That being said, I would look at guides if that was the only choice.

Thanks!

I looking into akduckhunts.com

I am really hoping for something close to Anchorage, not Valdez.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

If you're not dead set on Alaska you can also look for people that hunt Pudget sound in Washington. Only allowed 2 per day there but it's not hard to get them. I have sent guys home with Barrows a few times in the past. I don't sea duck hunt anymore or have a boat or I would offer.

3. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

Unless you have other business in Anchorage in December, I wouldn't consider sea duck hunting there. Cook Inlet has the second highest tides in NA, and huge mud flats a low tide. You might do better down by Homer, but I'd take Billy Bobs advice and look WA or OR. I wish I could be of more help, I'd love to hunt Pool 9.

4. Chesapeake Boy

I am going in January to go for Kings... I have miles, so I have the license and the flight is free... I wasn't wanting to pay two guides this year... I woulfbve open to Homer, Valdez and other locations if that would offer more promising opportunities.

Thanks

Prairie birder... I think we talked about Pool 9

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  5. Prairiebirder

Prairiebirder Refuge Member

That time of year I would forget about hunting out of Anchorage and focus on Homer or Kodiak. I'm not sure how you'll go about pulling off a DIY hunt up there regarding decoys, boat, etc. Will you be taking your dog alond? By the way, that's a great looking Chessy. Good luck with getting that hunt put together.

Yes, Pool 9 is definitely on my bucket list. What would be the chances of there still being good numbers of canvasbacks there in Nov.; or is that getting kind of late?

6. Chesapeake Boy

November is when you want to be there...

7. waldo2382

waldo2382 Refuge Member

The place in Valdez is good. I’m friends with Tim. There aren’t any guides in Homer, but there is a guy across the bay in Seldovia. Wish my boat would be running, but it won’t be ready by the end of this duck season.