Be still my beating heart. The CMP now has 86,000 M-1 Garands from the Philippines.

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by Bear, May 14, 2018.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

To answer that let me respond with a question. Why duck hunt with all of the expense and three AM drives to freeze while setting out decoys in ice water when a frozen whole duck is $3.99 a pound in the poultry section? :nutz Smart azz Wife. :yes

2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Because it's fun.

Is there something besides nostalgia that has ya'll interested in these? It's a serious question.

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn't mind having a M1 Garand to shoot. There is still I believe surplus 30-06 available (though I'm sure that is shrinking). The best memories I've had is shooting w/my Dad & brother and an old Rem. P14 Enfield. My Dad would reload w/lead bullets he had made. Man that was fun-just shooting!!!! Plinking remember when we used to that? I'm sure back in the day if my Dad had a chance to buy a M1 he would have (FMJ's of course). By the way that would be the reason I would want a Springfield Armory M1, handloads & shoot!

Bear likes this.
  4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Nope. That is it. Same reason I sometimes shoot my Wards Revelation SxS 20ga my Dad bought for me, and same reason I shoot his Beretta 303 once a season.

5. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

I think it was fun. Especially spending time with my Daughter. But that may just be me.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

A lot of deer have been taken over the years with surplus Garand's and others like 03 Springfield's. It used to be a cheap way for anybody to get an inexpensive deer rifle, some surplus ammo and go hunting.
    These days nothing cheap or easy, Welcome to the New Millennium!!!

OneShotBandit and Bear like this.
  7. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Many gunsmiths had excellent careers sporterizing mil-surp rifles. The late Dale Wise of San Antonio was one of the best. Some were as much art as rifles.

Every deer(-2)...turkey(-2) and one jackrabbit were taken with sported 1903 Springfields save the minus shown. My nephew hunts with his grandfather's Enfield.

Remanufactured for hunting and surplus FMJ ammunition was going for 88 cents a box of 20 at Sears in the late 60's. I bought a British Enfield from Sears for $15.00 at that time. Many first rifles for hunters were mil-surp rifles.

Anyway...I love em. Wish I hadn't been so careless about selling the ones I owned.

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

That's the part that gets me about it, surplus rifles were always cheap and affordable. You hear this BS today about supply and demand, collectors market, etc., personally I don't see how with 5.5 Million produced Garand's can be considered collector items, nostalgia yeah but not collector.
    Again Welcome to the New Millennium !!!

API and The_Duck_Master like this.
  9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I worked for a custom rifle builder back in my college days, and we had bigalo boxes full of each of Mauser 98, Springfield 03, and Enfield P13&17 actions, sitting there. We’d just grab whichever his customer wanted, and start cutting, grinding, and polishing as required, then move on to barreling. He had thousands of them. Most he bought by the pound or lot at auction, and sold to other smiths. We only built a fraction, if. He died years ago, but I’d love to have a container full of those old 03A3s or 98s.

OneShotBandit and yellowlab03 like this.