Beer, Whiskey, Wine or whatever

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Sunklands, Jun 14, 2018.

1. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I like banquet beer and Patron

Winchester 1897 likes this.
  2. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

I'm boring. Usually coors light or a vodka tonic with a good stab of lime.

3. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

PBR?

Good grief! :doh

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member

Oh no, PBR is making comeback w/the younger set! Not bad when it's ice cold! I couldn't believe it either.

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, so is eating detergent pods.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

I don't really drink much anymore, Heineken Dark, Becks Dark or Amber Bach if I do.

7. BDavis

BDavis Refuge Member

I’m a big fan of most beers but lean towards the hoppy ones. Had a couple of great beers from ME just recently.

Attached Files:

8. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Summer time hard to beat southern comfort and sour. Whiskey is always good. Coors light or Miller light when drinking beer all night. Blue moon is my sippin beer lately

9. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I don't drink as a rule, never been drunk, but occasionally I just have to try something to see what all the fuss is about.

Bourbon: I've got a bottle of George T Stagg, 142.6 proof I believe. It is the top of my list, drink it neat, it deserves it.
    Quick list of others, George T Stagg Jr (very worth finding and getting), bookers (after 6 months of sitting it became a better drink), and wild turkey rare breed when it was uncut unfiltered and straight from the barrel is actually what got me into bourbon.
    Scotch: Yamazaki 18yr, Macallan rare cask, these are probably my two best, but what I figured out through the years of drinking good scotch, is that I'm not a scotch guy, I can't stand the heavy smoke, heavy peat stuff like lagavulin.
    Cognac: Remy Martin XO has been my favorite here, but after trying a few, haven't really explored this much more.

Where it's at, and it hasn't caught on big yet. Sipping Rums, my favorite so far, my Appleton Estate 21yr, a close second, Goslings family reserve Old rum.

I say that about the rum because that 21yr is only $120/bottle and that Goslings cost me about $60. That bottle of George T Stagg would cost me about $3k+ to buy today if you could find it, even a new 2018 bottle of their stuff is near impossible to get, you'd more than likely have to buy it second hand and it'll cost you $700-$800 or so. That bottle of Yamazaki 18 cost me $120 and if I hadn't drunk some of it I could look to get near $1k for it.

Those rums will blow up soon enough, but for now, they seem to be the deal. I do prefer uncut, unfiltered and high proof if possible, it's just more flavor, I hate stuff that tastes like they diluted it with water... give me the raw product at 150 proof over a watered down 90 proof

I don't drink beer because I'm not a drinker, in fact, most of all that good liquor I have just sits and goes bad from age because I just take a taste to remind me why I don't drink and it sits...
    I may bring some to family gatherings for them to try, but mostly it just sits.

I also smoke cigars, my favorite are my Montecristo Cubans, but my Asylum 13, 70 ring gauge 2-3hr cigars come in as my favorite legally acquireable cigars.

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Drinking, In my dreams:
    Around now it is full blown hunting in New Zealand. Their seasons are opposite ours. (https://www.firstlite.com/campfire/...ed-trip-to-the-south-island/#donation-section) I'd like a few pints with the boys after we got our limits of birds and had a good day frustrating the antis. Any beer is fine, "I'll have what they are having and their next round is on me." It's funny, a lot of guys around the world hunt with the same decoys, shotguns, gear that we hunt with. A lot of them buy from Cabelas etc. Shells are local though.

Then there's hunting in France. They use live duckss as decoys , how cool is that? They shoot a lot of double barrels, and semi autos there and drink wine afterwards. I'm ready to go.

Then there's Germany. To get a license, you have to pass an intense test. Very heavy in firearm operations, ballistics, safety, woodsmanship, plant and tree identification. You also have to prove that you have a specific place to hunt and usually connected to a hunt club. . I never hunted there, but want to. Some of the best beer I ever had was in a small local bed and breakfast that had a small pub attached. Traditional building with gingerbread trim etc.
    In the early morning they led the cows and sheep out to pasture, an orchestra of cow bells , a carpet of green that led up to the freakin Alps. Beautiful! I'll never forget driving a brand new Volkswagen around a bend and seeing the Alps for the first time. The beer was locally brewed and it was served by traditionally dressed German Barmaids, cotton dresses, very pretty ( not the costume type dresses during festivals) all smiles. Wonderful people. The beer left rings on the inside of the glass as I drank. Great stuff! That morning at sun up, my wife let me know that she was expecting our first child. I was thrilled and we talked and then like a man does... I went back to sleep. She wanted to hit me with her shoe. My wife asked at the table for something not alcoholic case she was expecting. All the Barmaids chattered and took interest and brought her a big glass of fresh, out of the cow, warmed milk. My wife hates warm milk but she just couldn't refuse the gesture so she was a god sport and drank it. So there we are, me with my beers and her with her milk and the Barmaids giggling and happy for us both. Wonderful people. I have to return some day to drink more beer. In Germany out in the country, they will drag a boar that they killed right into the pub, stand around it in a circle, drinks and toasts all around to celebrate the hunt. Hunters and local folk celebrating. Try doing THAT here.

Then there is Italy. That scene in Godfather...or was it Godfather II , where Michael escapes to Italy until things cool down and he goes out hunting with some Italian guys for birds. They relax at a small town cafe drinking wine outside, with their shotguns leaning against the cafe. Don't forget the beautiful waitress that Michael has an affair with. I want to drink that wine right there but not be a Mafia guy.

Theres great hunting in so many countries.
    Heck, I just learned that there is great turkey hunting in Hawaii. Time for a Mai Tai in Hawaii !!!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    WHUP ! Hen likes this.