Beretta 686 vs 687?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by 870Wing, Apr 25, 2005.

1. 870Wing

870Wing Senior Refuge Member

What's the difference between the Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon and the 687 silver Pigeon ll, (besides a few hundred bucks)? Are they mechanically the same gun with just differences in finish?

Thanks in advance for the help.

870Wing

2. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Thats it. They are just a little more pretty. All the 680 seires guns are the same internal workings

---------kevin-----------

3. 870Wing

Kevin, thanks for the information.

Take care

870Wing

4. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

The 686's don't have the spacer soldered between the barrels and doesn't have the ingraving a 687 does. They are a little lighter so kick just a bit more. Not as good a resale as a 687. 686's have a urethane finish instead of an oil finish. shows scratches easily and is a pain to repair/refinish. Both great guns.

5. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

I have never seen a 680 series gun without the barrels having filler ribs. Never.

You might be thinking of a entry gun called a white wing.

Beretta has put every type of finnish on the 680 guns there is. Shiny, Matt and oil finnish.

----------kevin----------

6. mottler

mottler Elite Refuge Member

I know you are very knowledgible about your guns Kevin but unless we have our signals crossed. The 686 is the white wing now called the 686S and the pigeon grade was the 687. http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_field_guns_main.htm

You have to look close but the 686 has the sling band between the barrels. I have one of each and you couldn't get the oil finish unless you went up to the 687. I just don't want to have confusing info out there for the guy.

7. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Beretta still offers a 686 White Onyx and it is the same as the 687, with the only difference being wood and engraving. The wood has the same finish, but the grade is supposed to be better on the 687. The jury is still out on that though. Both of my friends have one of each. You don't get into the oil finishes until you move up the ladder. Even the DT-10 has the same finish. SO's have oil. I shot a beautiful SO6 last week and it was sweet.

8. blunder

blunder Elite Refuge Member

My one year old 686 SP S has the filler strips just like the 687.
    Just has the cheapo wood and machine engraving instead of the raised crap.

tom

9. impcyl2

impcyl2 Senior Refuge Member

Here is a close up of the receiver of a Beretta 687 silver pidgeon 2, this is a back up gun for shooting sporting clays, I shoot a Berreta 682 gold-E. Never had to use the 687 so far.

10. 870Wing

Guys, I'm talking about the 687 Silver Pigeon ll vs the 686 Silver Pigeon S. It's the first 2 guns on the left side of the page. Beretta O/U The prices published are in Canadian currency, so don't have a heart attack. :)
    Mottler: Neither of these guns looked any thing like the White Wing. The White Wing has an open space between both barrels which doesn't appeal to me. The 686 White Onyx looks similar to the Pigeon model. You can see it at the bottom right hand side of the attatched page.

Take care

870Wing