Best Duck/Goose Load?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Undrcoverrednek, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Undrcoverrednek

Undrcoverrednek Refuge Member

I will be just as likely as shoot geese as ducks at one spot I'll be hunting this year. I know I've got to pattern my gun, but please give me your suggestions for a starting point. I'm thinking about Kent Fasteel 1's or 2's in 1 1/8 1560 fps loads. The 1's aren't available locally for me to try a box though...

2. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

I think you're on the right track with the #1 shot, as that is what I use for duck/goose combo hunts. The load you're looking at will work well, as long as it patterns through your gun. There aren't alot of pellets in a 1 1/8oz load of #1, but as long as your gun/choke throw a fairly tight pattern, it'll work just fine.

3. Den and Jack

Den and Jack Senior Refuge Member

#2-B for mallards and geese. I like B shot out of my 10 ga for snows and mallards. It is a bit much for mallards, but I can't bring an unlimited number of shells to Canada. #2 is great for most ducks, but you will have to know your limitations with the geese. If they are closer than 30 yards anything will work.

The larger shot sizes are not great for small ducks at 40 yards.

4. Undrcoverrednek

Undrcoverrednek Refuge Member

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on some 1's w/out ordering a case. I'll try the 2's first and keep the geese 40 and under. Also thought about getting just a few Wingmaster HD 4's to just slip in when the geese are coming but I have no experience changing shells in the blind. Shooting an 1187 so you really have to change 2 shells to clear the chamber.

5. KY duck Junkie

KY duck Junkie Senior Refuge Member

1 1/4 #1:tu

6. Lame-Duck

Lame-Duck Elite Refuge Member

If you are going to say with steel, I'd go with either #1's or #2's. The Remington Wingmaster HD #4's, would really be an outstanding load, but you have to decide whether it's worth paying the price for the stuff.....it is indeed expensive.

7. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Federal HHV 3" 1 1/4 oz #2's. i'd say 1's in the same load but they ceased production on that load.

8. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Are you hunting decoys or pass shooting? IMO over decoys 3's or 4's passing 1's. We need more info.

9. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I agree with Seaark18 ... there aren't many pellets in a 1 1/8 oz. load of 1's. I found them to work well on ducks if you can get good, tight patterns with 40 yards being the maximum range due to pattern density. But getting good pattern density may be a problem with the Kent loads, especially if you are shooting a tight bored Italian gun. Using the Invector Plus bores, a light full often patterns well with that shot size. In Remingtons, the improved modified usually patterns well.

On big Canadas, with body hits, 40 yards is about the maximum range for frontal or side shots using fast 1's.

I just put a goose load in the magazine, then 1 duck load in the magazine and 1 in the chamber. That way I will have two duck loads ready if ducks show up. I will usually have enough time to switch out the duck loads for goose loads when geese approach ... and that's what I do, switch to all goose loads when geese show up.

PS: There are only about 115 no. 1 pellets in a 1 1/8 oz. load. If you are getting a 70% pattern at 40 yards, you will only have about 80 pellets in your 30" circle. With a 80% pattern, you will only have about 92 pellets in the circle. To get 100 pellets in the circle, which I prefer for ducks, you will need an 87% pattern. Those patterns at 80% and more are darn near impossible to achieve in a tight bored Italian gun with Kent fast steel loads. The only choke I found which could do it in my Novas was the .675" Terror choke.

10. Seaark18

Seaark18 Senior Refuge Member

TripleB knows his stuff! I've learned a ton from him over the last 6-7 years.