Best for Planting?

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by sprig n honker, Jul 30, 2017.

1. sprig n honker

sprig n honker Senior Refuge Member

Was wondering if any of you are planting/seeding your properties and if so what you recommend? Have a couple ponds I'd like to seed some millet around, but figured I would see if others have better solutions or recommendations...

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

Getting pretty late. I have millet around the new pond. I also have buckwheat that is flowering right now. For the quail I have a quail foodplot mix that has been in the ground since June 1 that is looking pretty. I have 2 strips of forage sorghum and Egyptian wheat to screen wildlife from the road.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I agree; it's well past the ideal dates for planting millet. Next year you might think about some of the natural duck foods; smartweed, barnyard grass, sprangletop, even dock or pigweed.

Neck Collar likes this.
  4. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

it is not too late to plant cattails, if you want to transplant go to Pool 2 and get all you want. Best duck food there is and it comes back every year with neglect.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Actually, you can't.
    The staff there is very protective of their cattails. They've worked diligently to get a healthy crop going and would not take kindly to some low-life just helping himself to the fruits of their labor. Maybe, if you asked them nicely, they'd let you take one or two plants......

gadwall52 likes this.
  6. Horsemen

Horsemen Elite Refuge Member

Planting millet in the next week to 10 days. Should be ideal for maturing and pumping water. That will make for maturity around October 1-10th depending on rainfall.

I don't know near as much as the cattail expert about planting millet however.

7. Ducky73

Ducky73 Refuge Member

Average first freeze is early October. October 10th to be specific. Millet needs 90 days for optimal seed production. Seeding should be done by July 12th. At this point is late to plant millet.

Neck Collar and Tuleman like this.
  8. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Its not too late, depending on weather. Cheap enough to plant and take a chance.Might not freeze until late october around here.

9. Jubilee

Jubilee Senior Refuge Member

If it even freezes then.

10. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

If its mature