Best location and guide service for canada geese in Texas

Discussion in 'Texas Flyway Forum' started by easttexasdiver, Dec 2, 2018.

1. easttexasdiver

easttexasdiver New Member

Looking for best guide service and location for hunting canada geese in Texas.
    Thanks

2. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member

3. Coltdog16

Coltdog16 New Member

Canada’s are a rarity in the south part of the state nowadays. Way out west and in the panhandle they kill the heck out of them still.

Goosereapers Texas is one of the best I know up there.

4. AvianQuest

Coastal Texas was actually the ancestral wintering grounds for the giant subspecies of Canada geese. But that all ended with the 1900 Storm which not only killed 8,000 people but it destroyed the wild celery beds and whatever the Canada's ate while here. Whatever it way, the Canada's soon stopped coming and their population went into a nose dive to the point that it was thought they had become extinct. But instead the small number that were left had given up migration and now they are doing well especially on golf courses and parks.

5. Coltdog16

Coltdog16 New Member

Another cool fact I didn’t know till recently.

The sand bars at the mouth of San Jacinto and trinity river used to be the winter homes of a massive population of swans back before 1900 as well. Only here of a few sightings a year in the state nowadays.

6. AvianQuest

I've seen a few swans along 290 between Cypress and Waller, but they are very rare now days.

Coltdog16 likes this.