Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Best new 4 stroke in 25 to 30 hp range

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by duckbuster5901, Apr 26, 2019.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the input. I had noticed the C.I differences in their specs. and was pretty sure the Tohatsu would out preform the yammy. Going to get a price on a Tohatsu. Found I,ve got a couple dealers within about 45 minute drive of me. Always looking for the best deal and outboards.com sells them also just a little higher than the Yamaha but 2 days and no response from my email to them has me gun shy.

2. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

1995 us1 I respect your opinion on here more than anyone’s. My only qualm would be weight. On a 14 ’ Jon boat I believe the yammy is much lighter hanging on the transom. I know someone with theu25 tohatsu n it freakin screams .

3. 1995 US1

1995 US1 Moderator Sponsor Moderator

I can't locate a weight for the Yamaha. The tohatsu weighs 157 pounds. The yammy can't weigh less than 125 to 130 pounds. So that's a 25 to 37 pound difference, or the same as 3-4 gallons of fuel. Move your fuel tank forward and balance the boat. I would have to say over half the boats we are building now have the fuel line run from back to front. Most boats are swamped by water coming over the transom. If you have a 15" transom, have it raised to 21" and buy a 20" shaft outboard. I still don't understand folks running short shaft outboards and 15" transoms. The cost to raise the transom is 200-300 dollars. Worth every cent to prevent swamping.

4. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Boat i,m pushing is a 16 x48 Weldtec Landau. Shouldn,t be a problem as boat has a 20" transom. Another thing I like about Tohatsu is PTT comes standard which I,ve come to appreciate in areas I hunt. Don,t have to worry so much about traversing lots of shallow water wide open on plane but once I,ve arrived at spots basically idle in and set up with motor trimmed up. By the time boat blind and decoys and dog are forward in boat I,ll probably get enough forward weight to compensate for motor, gas, battery weight. We,ll see and make adjustments if needed.

5. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

1995 us1 I meant no disrespect I was just asking because I don’t know.