Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Best way to scout snows..?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by cole carroll, Feb 11, 2019.

1. cole carroll

cole carroll New Member

Just trying to get an idea of the best way to scout snows... I know weather, terrain , and etc has a lot to do with it and they can change their minds overnight on where they are gonna go but I’m tryin to understand when most people do their scouting... do they skip out on the morning hunt on Saturday to follow the roost to the field and hunt the field they immediately all go to ? Do you wait till a certain time frame before you go out and look for them like 12-3pm? Or do you find a field that they have generally been in since daylight? What is the most accurate way? I live in Louisiana and iv found where they were the day before and hunted it and had no success and also been in a field where I saw them go to and piles of crap and feathers everywhere and kill a few... what is the general way?

2. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Well, you may be doing it right, but no one can control or predict if they will return to the same field. There may be higher probability that they will if weather is right or they've used the field multiple days, which requires either holding off on hunting it or finding out that it was truth (I've gotten permission on feeds I just found where the farmer says they've been there a few days). A lot of pressure in an area also may reduce likelihood that they return to same fields day after day.

You've gotta burn either a morning or evening following birds in the air or find them on the ground. To me it's easier following them in the air for visibility, but not always easy to keep up with them. Plus sometimes they'll start going down and may bounce on a few fields and keep going, just confusing you in the process. If you find the main roost and have a general idea of direction they're heading, you can get a headstart in that direction and follow them out to the spot they stop at. This can be done morning or evening. Then get permission, let the birds leave peacefully (you should wait until you witness this happen not leave and assume so) and decide if you want to hunt it.

It also depends on your area. Here in MO birds typically do a morning feed, go back to water, then an evening feed. It sounds more common down south for them to sit on a field all day, especially if it has water for them to get a drink. Here we can choose morning or evening as your hunt. But again no promises which is why a lot of guys don't like chasing the X and rather just hunt traffic. If you can get permission under those flight lines you followed out from the roost it's not a bad idea. Then you have to hope they keep the same flight line. Risk in both options, hunting is never a guarantee.

Neck Collar likes this.
  3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

IMO, The only half way high percentage scouting is to find the feed in the evening and be there the next morning and hunt it all day. I'd much rather find the flight path and be under it though.

Neck Collar likes this.
  4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

See em in the evening, drive like hell to get close and figure out their flight line, then get under them in the morning. I wouldn’t waste time trying to get on the X since that constantly changes even from morning to evening on the same day. We use to hunt the x until getting burnt by south winds. They’d feed, either morning or evening, then get get up and ride the wind to freakin Nebraska where negooseman was waiting

Neck Collar likes this.
  5. Wapiti@67

Wapiti@67 Senior Refuge Member

Some things to take into consideration are; How many decoys do you have to set up and how many guys do you have to help. If chasing the X means setting decoys for 4 plus hours every night, that **** gets old in a hurry. But, if you have the help and have designed your spread to be mobile, it is very doable. I know of a lot of guys who, "Chase the X", that will not even set a spread unless the geese have been in that field for at least 3 days. But most of us don't have that kind of time. I think you do improve your odds of success by setting up in an X, but spring snows are so darn sketchy, I would AND DO find a quality field underneath of their flight line and set up there.

Neck Collar likes this.
  6. iaduckhunter

iaduckhunter Senior Refuge Member

Flight path for me , run traffic

7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Flight path for me too. However I have a buddy that is very successful over decoys. He shoots limits in the fall as well using his criteria.
    He likes
    At least 10k in the field coming from multiple roosts
    SE wind for the morning hunt putting thr sun in the birds face
    At least 10 mph wind

8. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

From a spread. Might as well be hunting. You can generally see where birds are trekking (flight path) and/or the fields they are hitting or general vicinity. With all the adults this years trying to pattern them will be next to impossible IMO. Just setup in a place that generally has good traffic and get after them. Not saying you can't find a spot off the beaten path that birds may use repeatedly and if you do by all means get after it. I would just rather be sitting in my spread...............not sure one spot over really make that much difference anymore unless (again) it is one you have seen repeatedly used by birds for at least 2 straight days. I sure wouldn't trust following the crazy things for 20 miles and then setting up on them the next day (after only 1 experience with them in that one field).

Good luck.

9. ED Vanderbeck

ED Vanderbeck Senior Refuge Member

Own a gas station best way to scout

Neck Collar likes this.
  10. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

The best way to scout......the internet. :reader