Bird Numbers

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Dec 11, 2018.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Were so LONELY down here!!!!:yes Hopefully we can get a reverse migration backup here before the season is over? LOL

2. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

At this rate weather wise, we'll be able to hunt snow goose feeds opening day of conservation season.

3. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Was just down on the SD . NE border and saw LOTS of SOB's
    This is a crazy year that's for sure. If things continue to warm I really don't think they will stay very long at all this spring. Not sure what to make of it.

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

I do love me some global warming! :dv

5. BirdJ

At this rate, we could have a Reverse Migration back up here before our season is over on Feb. 17th?

6. BirdJ

Wish you guys were getting that snow south of us right now!!!!!

7. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

I live on the river in the south east corner of the state and I've seen a good number of Canadas building back up and more mallards coming back all the time. Of course we don't have any snow cover.

8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Lows in the single-double digits below zero coming in about 5 days...

9. BirdJ

And that will do what here? We have 0 birds to speak of and has been like that since the beginning of the season! Need a bunch of (SNOW) in ND. to even get a trickle of new birds here this late in the season!!!! I have been guiding and hunting geese here fulltime since 1989 and have never seen a season this bad! EVER! Numbers have dropped a bunch, at least here the last 8yrs or so since ND. have changed their farming practices as in crops! Anybody else tells you any different is full of POO-POO! Every flyway do have birds moving to different ones but not by 3 or 4 hundred thousand!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong please.

10. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

It always cracks me up that you guys go back to the crop change as having something to do with it not realizing that the crops along the Missouri River haven't changed in a decade and corn has always been exceedingly common along the river for the last 30 years and they don't even use it most of the time anyways. When the snow gets deep they switch to soybeans and pastures and everything else that might have a ridge line blown clear. Simple fact is short stopping has nothing to do with crop change it started long ago and it just slowly progressed over time you guys just didn't notice it for the longest time cuz you had a bunch of bird still coming but now that it's reaching maximum effect it becomes far more obvious. It's pretty basic math in the end the birds that shortstop have a better shot at surviving since they burn less energy and the hunting season is considerably shorter and they have a gigantic Refuge on the river they can sit on with nobody bugging them. Tell you one thing living up here I'm certainly glad that there is almost nowhere to shortstop them north of us or we'd be screwed although some do hang up in southern Saskatchewan and Alberta but that's minimal.

All that said I'll be curious to see what the numbers are when the count comes out cuz I don't think we have near as many up here as you think we do. We probably still have 6 figures but I doubt it will be a record.