Birds every were

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by BB-Shot, May 26, 2019.

1. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

I was amazed on what I seen a stork delivering baby ducks would that be fake news. DJI wanted me to update for local air traffic good thing I did some heads up flying by all.

Dean Nelson likes this.
  2. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

very cool, which drone did you buy again?

3. BB-Shot

I have three drones now I have a Tello which is ok for taking pictures the video is ok but can turn out very pixelated at times. its is not much fun to fly if its is windy you fly it with a smart phone so not much range 10 mins on a battery charge. The video was taken with a DJI spark I was in a hurry low battery lots going on and I didn't adjust the camera settings to low light so a little dark for me. Only thing I don't care for is right and left cyclic the camera stays level with the Acft Fwd & Aft and Yaw are good. Over all the DJI Spark is a good drone very smart portable easy to fly It will till you to land if it's to windy low battery it will return home and land its self. Good range battery life 12 to 13 mins flight time loads of features I haven't even use yet I have the fly more combo comes with controller and two batteries. I just got a DJI Phantom 4 a few weeks ago from a guy in Bismarck ND. I got a great deal on it like new for $450.00 I wanted a Phantom pro+ but couldn't pass this one up. I have test flown it four times its sweet been to windy and rainy lately it has tons of feature and a great camera good range just over 20 mins of flt on a battery. I like DJI drones there are other models in between the Phantom 4 and Spark that are very good also.

002.JPG

002.JPG

4. BB-Shot

Well 1on1 you inspired me to fly higher and farther all in the name of conservation and history in the making a little wind today ok to fly. I have flown my Spark 57 times all logged some were like 3 min Flt and start over learning time. I have confidents in Miss Sparky but for fluent control movements she is touchy for smooth footage in a turn. Miss Hook the Phantom 4 I flow her today for the fifth time still in test flight with her she didn't respond to the return to home button. Very smooth control wise trust me I was sweating bullets after landing only sweating BB-Shot I don't trust her.

5. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

How cool is that, good on you. Glad you are enjoying them and thanks again for sharing

BB-Shot likes this.
  6. BB-Shot

Birds every were I have yet to see a brood of ducks tomorrow I will see some I have heard some have been seen. Been chilly warms cools down raining a lot there's fields that never got planted most very late. For duck production grass is needed which didn't get going till June for them to start dropping eggs ducks like tall grass. Just a bunch of molting drakes hanging out in groups I haven't seen a hen one in two weeks so there at work now. I have no dought there will be some production there eggs get cold no big deal hatcharys collect eggs refriduate 20 +- days. Everyone same same just different they all hatch the same day. She is not moving no food and no water sometimes more then a city block away from there food soarce some food for thought.
    I took my Phantom for the ninth test flt the water is up this year around here highest I have seen in the last five years came back up quick. The calm before the storm got three inches of rain in a hour so it's really up more today.

Dean Nelson likes this.
  7. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

love the videos BB you are talented. I've been seeing all types of ducklings from mallards to teal and even baby coots. It is a weird year with all the rain and water levels going nutz.

BB-Shot likes this.
  8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I'm impressed with the number of diver broods I've seen lately. Cans & redheads especially.

BB-Shot likes this.
  9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Seeing the same thing up here. Definitely larger numbers of divers then normal and outnumbered puddle ducks in some spots.

BB was looking at your place on Google earth and was wondering how bad the cut across on your access road gets when it gets wet?

BB-Shot likes this.
  10. BB-Shot

I been seeing some Ruddy ducks, Redheads, Teal, Gadwall, few Mallards all several weeks old no fuzz balls not large numbers of them.

Well the cut across going though the corn field is the worst part of the trip out if it rains at all I stay home gets to slippery. I have had many functions I have missed out on because of rain. I have to plan if I know I needed anything I go out before the storm and back it does dry out pretty fast. Like if it pours a inch of rain at 7am not going any were till the next day I try and minimize ruts. I cut across some CRP there's two spots that are three car lengths long I got some ruts going on stays wet all the time I just go really fast. I need to go shovel a small ditch and drain them just not into the wood ticks and mosquitos right now.

Old hen Mallard? Doesn't have the typical orange bill with the black camo spot.
    010.JPG

012.JPG

019.JPG

022.JPG

003.JPG