birds

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Flyfisher, Sep 14, 2018.

1. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I always lose count at 65, or if I don't lose count my waterproof pen stops working.

Brottboss and J.Bennett like this.
  2. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

Yea.

And LOTS of spoonies.

Don't tell anyone.

Flyfisher likes this.
  3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I trust the methodology used by US and Canadian Fish and Wildlife services. Brood counts, pond counts and good old-fashioned statistical analysis to extrapolate data from flyovers and estimate populations. I am generally more fascinated with pond counts, which portend breeding success, than I am in bird numbers.

mudhen likes this.
  4. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I'm not going to even bother opening that link. Every year, regardless of what the biologists say, some guys shout..."Best season ever!" and others wring their hands like they'll never see another duck. It don't matter...they'll either show up or they won't...I'll be out there, whatever they do.

5. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

yep...:tu:tu.. I don't care about report numbers, nothing I can do about it anyway..I'll still go 90 plus days a season, I'm not sure who came up with holidays during duck season.:doh.. To me it's about hunting, spending time in the field, friends, family and the camaraderie that comes with duck hunting. A few birds on the strap is just a bonus..:pra

I opened the link.. just to look at the pictures..that's what excites me

Silver Wings likes this.
  6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

It's gonna be another banner season!!!!!!!
    And it doesn't have anything with bird numbers, I'm still above ground and get to hunt whenever my back allows me to do so. I'm happy too get out of the house and laugh and talk crap with my family and close friends. I'm happy if I get to trick a few birds with the calls, nothing better in my opinion. I don't understand how guys that don't call keep interested in hunting, fooling birds is where it's at for me.:tu:tu:tu

7. partyfowl

partyfowl Senior Refuge Member

If hunting was completely outlawed.

I think I'd still try to call them.

And I'm not a very good duck caller.

callinfowl likes this.
  8. DBukiah

DBukiah Senior Refuge Member

Who is the "general public"? Most of the "general public" I talk to do not know which direction the sun rises. I support people in the field taking data, but I am bias as this is what I like to do. If the the GP were duck hunters even half of them don't know ****.

9. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

Only a few areas that I care about the hatch that impacts my season. DU usually doesn’t cover it any way.

Bigger impact is my “local” habitat and timing my opportunities to hunt when flood-up occurs along with the peak migration. Weather during this time is also beneficial. What happens in the PPR, though it may determine my season length, has very little to no bearing on how “good” my season will be.

A few decent draws or lotto numbers sure don’t hurt and even better if they occur on favorable weather days. I was pretty blessed last year as I had my personally well trained hunting partner with me!!! However, he’s in the Army, now. So I’ll have more solo hunts. Here is one of the many great hunts and more importantly, lasting memories that we shared last season.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Ferrarifarms likes this.
  10. delta greenheads

delta greenheads Senior Refuge Member

Sorry but if they ever outlaw duck hunting I would be come
    A outlaw

callinfowl likes this.