Bismuth? Tungsten? Man, You Guys Are Rich!

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Thinblueline, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Real Green

Real Green Elite Refuge Member

Cost per shell means nothing without factoring the number of shots an individual takes. For instance, my son struggles. He pushes a box in a half maybe two to get his birds. He just cant get the timing down and ends up turning a lay up shot to a hero shot simply by waiting to long to pull the trigger. I average about a half a box to shoot a limit. At $35 a box that costs me about $18 a hunt to shoot bismuth. It costs me about $24 a hunt for my son to shoot two boxes of steel. I agree, if it took me a box plus to shoot my 7 birds I would never consider the other options.

2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

That doesn't change the fact that bismuth nor anything heavier than steel is in no way needed to consistently kill birds inside of 40 yards. If a guy can't kill birds inside of 40 yards with steel, there is a MUCH bigger problem than the ammunition. Not to mention that maybe 1 of 100, probably much less. can even hit birds at 40 yards consistently. Can a bird inside of 40 yards be deader than dead? There is only one answer to that.

And again I will sit here waiting for the fallout from the "duck snipers"

3. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Before you leave they ask you how many shots you fired. This is for all the areas in the state. And I agree the numbers are low. That's about 2.5 birds per hunter. Yes, duck hunting is this state sucks.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

One thing about bismuth or tungsten if you bite too hard, you may not break your tooth. I pick my spots when I use it, usually when specks are around.

mudhen likes this.
  5. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Good thing it’s nobody’s business how other adults spend their own money!!

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

If I shot ammo that cost $3-$4 a shot, I would probably lose a lot of birds simply because I'd be too hesitant to make follow-up shots on birds that weren't stoned on the first shot.
    But I grew up pretty poor with shotshells being precious, and I've never quite gotten completely over that.....

callinfowl likes this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Usually most people can get by with steel shot, think the biggest thing has already been covered like actually knowing how and when to shoot. The other that we have covered over and over again is patterning your gun, choke and loads which IMO most waterfowlers do not do.
    Tungsten and Bismuth are great, I do like shooting tungsten shot, for my shooting needs however I've gotten my gun/choke/load combinations tuned to the point I really don't need to use Tungsten or Bismuth shot.

8. Decoyin Drake

Decoyin Drake Senior Refuge Member

Remember life is about choices. Waterfolwling is so also. With many choices from Less Expensive to Exorbitant... Decoys, Clothing, Calls, Guns and ammunition. What works for one may not be justifiable for another. Everyone's financial situation is different as is the threshold for "disposable " income. To each their own. Steel works and so do the others. I shoot both premium steel and Bismuth. I enjoy reloading and shooting Bismuth. I dont always shoot it but do so when situations dictate. In a 20 gauge frequently as I can improve pattern density in my smaller gauge guns. I shot 3" #2 Bismuth on my 3 Eider trips without a single cripple and one word describes it ( AMAZING ) as that was not the case for the other guys shooting steel. Big water boat blind ducks where cripples are very problematic 3" #4 bismuth for my last shot, Late season big Honkers for my third shot-yep sometimes. As few boxes a year doesn't impact my decision personally when all is considered.

GulfCoast, mudhen and callinfowl like this.
  9. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

And one of the first discussions would be, about keeping shots within known ability. It is ok, to pass up a marginal shot. It is ok, to pass up a close shot with a bad angle. It is ok, to pass up the first time pass trying to get that second pass. Steel does, just fine.

Some 15+ years ago, I shot hevi for the year. Just wanted to do it, really see and understand. Back then I reloaded for about a buck a shell. I didn't change the shots I took, nor the way I set up. I noticed less water swats, and the ability to shoot geese when available was better. I loaded #4, just like my lead days. They hit hard. I'm sure I could have stretched it out, but not my style. As mentioned earlier, to many people use bigger-faster-larger-expensive to compensate for skill. Do it right, steel gets it done. If 4 bucks a pop works for you, well, it is your money.

mudhen likes this.
  10. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Honestly I wish I could afford to shoot some of the higher end stuff... be it bismuth, tungsten, or hevi shot occasionally. It would be nice on really windy days and I'd really like to shoot my 20 gauge more. Any other time I'm fine with steel. I don't get to hunt nearly as much as I use to so I probably could afford a couple boxes a year. I've thought about buying a box or two here and there just for those times. The new hevi x seems to be a decent in between option, I'm gonna keep my eyes on the reviews for them.