Black tail back straps

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by Semper Fiduckis, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Semper Fiduckis

Semper Fiduckis Senior Refuge Member

Hi all,
    This is probably beating a dead horse asking this question here, but I have recently taken my first deer and would love to hear anyone’s favorite recipe for the back straps.
    Any response is appreciated but the more detail/ step by step would make my day for I am a simpleton and not great in the kitchen.

2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Slice into 1-2” thick medallions.

Mix some flour with salt pepper and red pepper. Dust medallions in mix. Drop into lard or bacon grease. Cook until medium rare.

3. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

It's most likely gone by now, if not take a cast iron skillet and get it smoking hot.
    Add a little bacon fat and or butter maybe a table spoon worth toss it in the hot pan.
    Have the lion ready with a little salt pepper and sprig of fresh rosemary.
    Toss it all into the smoking hot pan and sear it off until it browns up around the
    edges then throw it into a hot oven for 5 to 10 minutes uncovered.
    Forgot to mention to turn the oven to bake, set it to 400*.
    Just be careful not to overcook it, your shooting for med rare, remember it's gonna keep cooking after it's removed from the oven while it's resting for
    10 to 15 minutes. From start to finish it should only take about 30 minutes from start to the table. So make sure you put your bake potatoes in about 30 minutes before you start in on the venison.
    Back strap, baked potatoes, garden salad and a good bottle of Cab and your set.
    That use to be a big hit around the house back when I was able to deer hunt.
    Man I miss having a freezer full of venison.:(

Semper Fiduckis likes this.