Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal.........

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 22, 2018.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Other than looks, how do they differ, both in nature and in how you hunt them?

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Green-wings are smaller, more nimble and generally more available during our regular seasons, but I find the same tactics attract both species equally well.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Do you mix a spread or have them separate?

4. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Teal aren’t too bright, we use any kind of hen decoys.

5. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

I generally use whatever I have at that point in time. They are not really "working" ducks. They are usually there or not. If they see your decoys they may come to them or not. To me they seem to always want to work the outside edge so if I am targeting them specifically as in the early season I keep my decoys closer to my blind / concealment. 10 -20 yds max.

WHUP ! Hen and cootmeurer like this.
  6. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

For us in Illinois, bluewings are the first to arrive in September and the greenwings are typically some of the last ducks here. I have killed a lot of greenwings when there was ice on the lake. But like others have said, they are not too smart. Any old hen decoys and a robo of some sort works fine.

WHUP ! Hen and riverrat47 like this.
  7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

GW's are much more 'cold' hardy. I have shot them on iced over rivers. BW's, it seems, if there aren't any mosquitoes, there aren't any BW's.

8. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

When I use both, I scatter my teal decoys around my small pods of big ducks. Doubt it makes a lick of difference to the teal, but believe the size differences add to the illusion of life in the spread.

During our September blue-wing only season, I'm most inclined to use nothing but big duck decoys, simply because they're more visible to the teal.

Fwiw, I've found both teal species to be far more susceptible to calling than I once thought.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  9. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

We have mostly gwt and cinns out this way (there are a handful of bwt around as well, but I’ve shot as many bwt as I’ve shot euro-wigeon)...

I’ll mix a few teal decoys in with the big duck decoys, but for the most part, I segregate the teal and generally keep them closer to the blind. I’ve found that teal will key in on the teal decoys and try to land right there with them (at least the gwt will). Put the teal decoys just down wind of the blind and when a ball of them comes in “stand them up” and it will be like a game of duck hunt on the old Nintendo. If you and whoever you are with are decent shots and stick to your shooting lanes, 2-3 birds on the water per gun on a volley should be the norm.

As far as calling goes... I can’t say much regarding bwt, but gwt respond exceptionally well to calling, even very large groups. One trick that I’ve learned is that gwt seem to suffer from ADD, so once you have their attention, do not stop calling until you are ready to shoot, because if you lay off the call, more often than not, they will turn and either keep flying or land outside of the spread. Most of the time, my teal whistle is still in my mouth when I’m pulling the trigger. A lot of guys around here like the wingsetter whistle for gwt (it works great), but it requires that you cover one of the holes with your finger to operate it, so I use a megaphone type whistle because it doesn’t require any fingers to blow, not to mention it is louder and the sound can be focused in the direction that you want it (which is important if you are trying to get the attention of a ball of teal off in the distance).

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

They taste about the same--delicious!

We get bw's early too; they will respond to a call but will also just appear out of nowhere. I like to keep the dekes rather close as well; as someone said they like to skirt the spread.