Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal.........

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 22, 2018.

1. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Our early teal season runs congruent to our early goose season...the BW and GW teal seem to divebomb right into floater goose decoys just fine.

2. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

You southern guys can actually get a nice blue wing, up here they always look like hens.i have shot a couple nice green wings late in the year tho..

jzoo likes this.
  3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I don’t see many bluewing around here. However, blue wing typically prefer mudflats and shallow marshes. We will shoot green wing in deep water and they stick around well into November. Bluewing seemed to be basically gone by mid October.

4. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

There is no trick to hunting them. I'm fairly certain you could shoot either of them over a raft of yellow "rubber ducky's" and a single spinner.

dux/24 7 and cast&blast like this.
  5. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Yep. I can't speak to bwt and how susceptible to calling they might be, but I've found that gwt will come to a call as well or better than most other waterfowl out there.

6. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Bluewing Teal are more closely related to Cinnamon Teal and Shovelers:

http://www.ducks.org/Conservation/W...Understanding-Waterfowl-The-Blue-Winged-Ducks

In almost 40 years of hunting I've never seen a Bluewing around here. I've never seen a Cinnamon during hunting season (occasionally see them in springtime). Luckily, the Shovelers stay around for hunting! :) :dv

I love the Greenwings, I too have hunted them over ice. Seems like they respond a little from distances, but mostly they just jet in and surprise us!!

7. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Bluewings are our first migrants...and if the temp dips below 50 in September, they are generally gone. They don't stay around much; our season is usually a couple weekends and some weekdays...one weekend they are here, one weekend they are not, and it may be either one, or neither...they can blow through before or after the season.

Hen mallard decoys are fine, and the larger size doesn't seem to matter to them. I've seen calls work and not work - seems more like if they are in the neighborhood and want to, they will come in spite of what you do. They are still brown when they get here; I've seen pictures of mature drakes killed here in December, but they are few and far between...

Greenwings are usually "main season" ducks, though a few usually get killed in the early teal season. A flock of greenwings sizzling down into flooded timber (usually hugging a main slough or river channel) is a sight to see...and a wad of them balling up on a rice field is pretty cool when they do a "Blue Angels" flare out as you stand up. Beautiful little birds.

creedsduckman likes this.
  8. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

I've never raised a gun on a BWT. I do shoot GWT during our first split on the salt marshes (no early season here).

I have shot a banded hen GWT. She was banded in NC. The band is so tiny that it only fits around the cinch string connecting my call to the lanyard. Pretty cool...but I don't get the cred because the bros at the launch can't see it.

GWT will always be one of my favorite ducks....it's the first duck I ever shot (I think I was 11 or 12?), and the first duck I shot that my dog retrieved (technically my buddy shot a merganser on the dog's first hunt, which he retrieved, but I don't count that).

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  9. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Bergman's Rule doesnt seem to apply to greenwings as I've seen numerous late in the year as well.
    I'm surprised by the amount of people that seem shocked when greenwings are still around when things get cold. Hardy little ducks they are.

I think, to answer the original question, that bluewings seem easier to call in and seem a bit more inclined to come back after getting shot at than GW's are.

10. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

As mentioned, use goose decoys with a few teal or hen mallards. Keep the teal whistle handy and give a few short quick quacks on the duck call. Spinners work for teal butt we've flagged the teal in with our hats when goose season was also in. Soon as you shoot into them get on the whistle while another guy quacks quickly and everyone should be re!oading. We've got as many as three wacks out of one flock. If they pitch in, give them a few seconds, most time they'll swim in a knot and you can really work on them! Beautiful ducks, love both species!

jzoo likes this.