Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal.........

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 22, 2018.

1. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Teal decoys are worthless, we use mallard, pin and wig decoys for them. I don't know why guys fall for the "early season" decoys. Ducks can't see them as well and with a brain the size of a peanut they're not going to know that drakes aren't colored up yet. Maybe it's fun to over think things.

The_Duck_Master, payton and dux/24 7 like this.
  2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I use fully colored up mallard decoys and a spinner on bwt. My favorite hunt for bwt ever was a single spinner sitting up against an old house foundation on the mudflats. 2 flocks and I was done.

3. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Throw out a few of any decoys and a spinner or 2.

4. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

My o my o my how did we ever kill a single solitary duck let alone a limit without the use of a "Spinner" ? Don't use them, don't like them. Ought to be outlawed, mechanical devices !!!!

Trout Bum and JuvieCoot like this.
  5. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

Desperate hunters use desperate means.

6. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Not when you carry on your spread in on your back.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Not being one of the cool kids, I'll run 'em for teal and enjoy the benefits.

dux/24 7 likes this.
  8. ducksinwv

ducksinwv Senior Refuge Member

I like motion. If that means "spinners" so be it. I don't see enough ducks in a season to be prideful about using equipment that might up my chances in shooting more birds. In the early late season my group uses two lucky duck spinners, three higdon pulsators, a higdon flashing splasher, and a vortex with two air ducks on it. It's a circus. But it gets their attention.

Back to teal. We don't have an early teal season, but still shoot blue wings in October often. As most set, few dozen floaters (I wad one group up tight, the other I spread out a bit.) goose floaters, and a spinner or two.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I've shot more greenwings in Oregon and California than we do up here in North Idaho. I put out 8 GWT decoys in a flock to themselves on the side of my other decoys. More often than not, if the teal land in the decoys it will be with the teal decoys rather than other species of decoys. But much of our teal hunting is close in pass shooting as they buzz your decoys.

I've never seen or killed a bluewing in North Idaho. All GWT.

10. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

We’d shoot about equal numbers of both here. Unfortunately the blue wings never have any good color for us. My experience is that when they get off the water they have an “x” in mind and pretty much go full speed right to that “x”. They always seem to appear out of nowhere.