Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal.........

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 22, 2018.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Must be a regional thing or something; there's not a person on this board that could tell the difference between the ones we shoot around here.

2. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

Haven't heard "breakfast ducks" in a long time. We still do that and they are delicious. Fillet the breast, saute in butter in a frying pan, salt and pepper, toast and watch out stomach here we come. Am guilty of doing it in the blind w/fresh shot GWT after the colder weather arrives.

tcc and cast&blast like this.
  3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Blue-wing teal and Cinnamon teal are closely related, and both are more closely related to spoonies than to green-wing teal.

I typically shoot green-wing teal in a variety of habitat, but they prefer shallow water with a food source (I shoot a lot of them on open shallow water). Cinnamon and blue-wing teal are often found in deeper tule ponds (I believe that they often eat the snails on the sides of the tules). Blue-wings and cinnamon teal are less commonly found on the open water that green-wings prefer.

Both species are somewhat responsive to high-pitch "teal quacker," but green-wings are far more responsive to a whistle than blue-wings or cinnamons.

Cinnamon teal are not regarded highly in my area as far as table fare, and from the few I have eaten, neither are blue-wing teal... Green-wing teal are widely regarded as one of the top quality eating birds though.

I cannot speak to blue-wings or cinnamon teal as far as decoying them (as I do not target them), but green-wing teal will respond to teal decoys better than other decoys… With decoy spreads of different species, all too often, green-wings will attempt to land with the teal decoys.

4. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

I've only eaten about 3 blue wings in my life. But, green wings are a superior table fare and cinnamon are NOT.

5. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

No worries Rick...I don't hunt the September season because it's nearly all BWs here then....and they are gone before the regular season.
    You're welcome to my share of BWs.

P

6. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

i prefer BWT because there’s a better chance of finding a band on one

7. Squaller

I have shot more green-wing teal than any other duck, and have never shot one with a band...

I shoot a handful of cinnamon teal (if that) each season, and have killed about 4 of them with bands since about year 2000.

Green-wings are generally banded incidentally while banding pintail (from what I understand), and I know that one of the clubs doing banding near me banded a bunch of cinnamon teal while trapping (mostly gadwall, mallards, and cinnamon teal).

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  8. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

My first band ever was a Greenwing drake killed at Gray Lodge in 1964 banded at Gray Lodge by DFG 4 years earlier.

Squaller likes this.
  9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

BWT are 3rd most commonly banded duck, behind mallards and wood ducks. I have poor band luck, because I’ve never seen a banded BWT out of about a thousand dead ones. Never seen a banded GWT either, but haven’t seen as many dead ones. I’ve actually only ever seen 6 bands kilt. Greenhead, hen mallard, wood duck, hen wood duck, hen canvasback, hen bluebill. Only the greenhead was kilt by me. Well actually I killed the banded wood duck hen too, but I gave it to my buddy who went along that morning and had never kilt a band. Out of the many dead ducks I’ve seen, I would think I’d have more bands. Poor luck. And a poor location for bands.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  10. Squaller

I have been lucky enough to take a fair number of banded ducks... Several have been cinnamon teal.

The chance of a band does not make up for having to eat them though... I have eaten a number of cinnamon teal (and a handful of blue-wing teal which seem to be similar), and they are not very good on the table. Last year, I gave my daughter (7 years old) some of each, and she immediately said she did not like the cinnamon teal (her exact words were "I do not want any more of the yucky one").

TheDuckSlayer likes this.