Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal.........

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 22, 2018.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

A blind hog will find an acorn every once in a while. Buddy of mine from Florida was attending school here in TN for a couple of years. He was hunting the early woodduck, teal season here and had a wad of teal come in. He and his buddies ripped them, killing several but he homed in on the single green wing in the bunch and it was banded. I don't know if I've ever seen a gwt in the Sept. season. As it stands, that is the only band he's shot in somewhere around of 18 years of hunting.
    I, on the other hand, have not shot a banded teal, period. Of the bands I have, somewhere around 40, all have been mallards and black ducks.

2. DComeaux

DComeaux Senior Refuge Member

Fresh, from this past teal season. We did take more GW during early teal this year than in years past.
    20170915_091821.jpg 20170915_105007.jpg

Even took a GW with jewelry the last day of the Louisiana early teal season (9/30/2017). This young bird traveled a long ways. She came in with a large mixed group, blues and greens.
    20170930_090515_resized(1).jpg 20171005_214030 (2).png

TheDuckSlayer likes this.
  3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

first year bird, bout as big as a dub

stevena198301 likes this.
  4. DComeaux

Yeah, she was tiny.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

FIFY

6. DComeaux

DComeaux said:
    ...she was tender.
    That's what I was thinking when I was typing.

7. TheDuckSlayer

Never ate a cinnamon teal, but bwt, gwt, and wood ducks are the best eating ducks around here. There must be something different the western bwt eat that makes them nasty, because they are excellent here.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

There are certainly some reginal differences... Gadwall in our area are known as gagwall, and I would classify gaddies, cinnies, BW-teal, and spoonies in the same category as far as table quality... Sometimes OK, sometimes edible, and sometimes punishment for shooting them.

Just north of us in the Sacramento Valley, gadwall are not nearly as poor eating as they are down here...

As I mentioned early, spoonies are more closely related to bw teal and cinnamon teal than are gw teal.

Woodies can be delicious on the table, but if shot in the foothills and on an acorn diet, they are far less desirable... If those woodies are on raisins and nuts, they are very good on the table though.

9. TheDuckSlayer

Awww, now your just pulling my leg. I know wood ducks eat mostly acorns here, and there is no finer eating duck. How you reckon there’s a difference between wood ducks eating nuts and wood ducks eating acorns (aka nuts)?

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Acorns are a nasty flavor others have much better flavor. It's like a mallard feeding on corn or a mallard feeding on algae or clams. Woodies shot in marshes here are good, along the river not so much.

1/5 chance a Gadwall will be edible. Spoonies are a decent table bird as are wigeon and pintails where I hunt and mallards are below spoonies for the table, about on par with a bufflehead.

Squaller likes this.