Blue Wing Teal, Green Wing Teal.........

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Tailfeathers, May 22, 2018.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Years ago, we had a TREMENDOUS mallard shoot on a large pool in a small river. Ducks were landing next to the boat as we were putting out decoys in the pre-dawn. Couldn't run them out for long before they were returning. There had been a winter kill of threadfin shad. Those birds were gifted.

2. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Ok, discussion on teal notwithstanding...take a moment and appreciate the regional differences on the same ducks on different diets.

Illinois corn- or Arkansas rice-fed mallards versus mallards eating dead salmon, dead shad, etc. Shovelers in the Midwest/south versus West Coast...heck, even bluebills on wild rice in Minnesota/Wisconsin versus minnow farms and zebra mussels down here in Arkansas...

I will also say on the matter of teal...bluewings are down the list from greenwings. We don't get cinnamon here hardly ever (they get mounted if someone kills one), and it is a "list bird" for me, as is a good drake bluewing. A friend's father calls greenwings "onion butts"...stuff them with onions and roast them, one or two per person...

3. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

From Alaska to Arizona, I cannot speak to the rice fed ducks on the Gulf Coast, I know of no duck that tastes so good, or is so noticeably bigger than a California rice field duck.
    I was amazed moving from California in 1972 to Alaska how much smaller the Mallards and Pintails were in Alaska before they even started their migration.
    I recall, that even the lowly Shoveler was very tasty coming out of the Central valley rice fields in California.
    I do not believe our Gadwalls in E Idaho are as chunky as are the rice field Gadwalls in California. Indeed the Gadwalls off the rice fields in California are every bit as big as our corn fed Mallards here in Idaho in many cases.