Boat Build

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, May 23, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

And so it begins...

When I found that Go-Devil non-flotation boat on FB, I made a decision that day to have one built for me. The next day I called and spoke at length with Warren Coco and started down the path. With options picked, I got financing in place and the journey began. I chose a 2048 duck boat over the surface drive. A few phone calls later, and the details were worked out. Here's where we are as of yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not bad for a days work. Lance has been very accommodating and has put up with my nitpicking along the way. I'll continue posting on this thread as the boat works it way through the shop until the boat is complete.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Awesome. Congrats.

I see on their website they have a 2044 duck boat. Is this entirely customized, including the dimensions?

3. MJ

The 2044 duck boat has so much flotation in it that I was hesitant to build that boat. You can get most of the same options on that boat that are available on the 2048 that I'm building. I would estimate that 30% of the 2044 boat is flotation. I need open space! The new 20' non-flotation is exactly what I've been looking for. I have 4 gunners and a big dog. We hunt swans and those decoys are BIG. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice boat and I was looking hard at it. I would have built it if I hadn't seen that new 2048. There's plenty of room in that boat.

The non-flotation is a new design according to Warren. He will build it as a surface drive (tall transom) or duck boat (short transom) in 2048, 2056 and 2060. You can choose from a lot of options. Seats, storage, gun box and more. For me, less is more. I ordered very few options.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  4. Duck_Hunter_TX

Sounds sweet. The website says that the max load for the 2048 long tail boat is 976. With four gunners, a big dog, big decoys, gas, etc, are you close to maxing out?

5. MJ

Combined weight with me and my two grown boys is a under 500 lbs. We’re a pretty lean group. Luke is about 80lbs. Gunner #4 is about 50lbs today.

Currently running a 1448 with the same load. I think we’ll be okay in the 2048

6. Duck_Hunter_TX

I was more asking in general, not because I thought you were overweight. TW one big question I have about boats. The weight limits all seem pretty low for the type of boat I’d ever buy for hunting.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Weight limits on duck boats are meant to be broken. People would freak if they saw how much our 1754 hauls in plywood and sandbags and construction equipment. If you use your head and don't go out in questionable weather overloaded you'll be fine. Not recommending people overload their boats, but they can haul a lot more than the weight limits suggest.:yes
    Nice boat Mark.:tu

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    Duck_Hunter_TX and MJ like this.
  8. MJ

I didn't take it as you saying I was overweight. And I agree that they are all rated pretty low.

I'm with @callinfowl on weight limits. My thoughts on weight limits is that they're suggestions rather than a hard fast rule. Much like the 65MPH speed limits are merely a suggestion. I drive 85 MPH to work and back every single day just so I can keep up with the flow of traffic.

9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Good folks down there.

MJ likes this.
  10. MJ

Thanks Dan. I’ve been waiting for the right boat to come along for a few years now. For where we hunt, this is the right boat.

callinfowl likes this.