Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Bottled H2O for battery?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by TXWings, Apr 27, 2004.

1. TXWings

TXWings Senior Refuge Member

Checked my boat battery today and found it to be low. I added 2)500cc bottles of Aquafina 'purified' drinking water, enough to visualize the level. Has anyone ever used this? Will it affect the performance?

2. B52-man

B52-man Elite Refuge Member

It will work,but I think distilled water is best.

3. Chili Palmer

Chili Palmer Elite Refuge Member

No, I believe you just made an error. Distilled water is H2O. Bottled water is H2O + who knows what.

too late now though

CP

4. eastender

eastender Elite Refuge Member

Distilled water is what is recommended for your battery, which has the minerals removed. I believe that Aquafina specifically states it is enhanced with minerals after purification. That being said I think it was better to have added any water then to have continued with the level so low. (You added 1 liter, right? That seems like quite a bit)

5. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

here's a bit of trivia for you. the ice that accumulates inside your freezer coils if it's an older type freezer is pure water.

6. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If you added sparkling water well...... thats a difffernet story. But regular bottled water will allow the same galvanic reaction to take place.

7. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

http://www.aquafina.com/home.htm

"state of the art purification, reverse osmosis, carbon filtration, nothing added, just pure water guaranteed"

i guess your battery will be ok.

8. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Elite Refuge Member

how often should you put distilled water into your battery? I bought my first marine battery last October, and have been keeping it juiced regularly. When should i add water?

thanks for the advice.

9. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

When ever it gets low, you don't want the cells to be out of solution. Basicaly just pop the caps off every few weeks and fill as needed. Be careful not to get any on clothes, hands, and eyes after you wash your clothing you will have small holes where the acid touched your clothing and eyes and hands well you should know about that.

10. Rail

Rail Elite Refuge Member

Actually, adding distilled water is a quick, temporary solution... After a few times of refilling the cells, you will need to do a complete acid replacement in all cells if you want it to function at it's full capacity... If your cells keep disipating then you need to look at the cause and possibly replace the battery... You added quick a bit of water this time....

Btw... The Aquafina shouldn't have hurt you but don't make it a practice of using anything other than distilled water...

Now I kow what you're thinking... "Does this guy know what he's talking about?".. Yep.. not only did I use to deepcycle these and other batteries while working on helicopters, I also stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last nite... ;) :l