Boy Scouts Will Allow Girls

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by hartfish, Oct 11, 2017.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

As an Eagle Scout myself, I agree with Tailfeathers. I learned lessons in Scouts (both philosophical and practical) that I will carry forever. I believe that admitting girls will water down the experience. There is a time and place for teenage boys to be around and learn about teenage girls, but the Boy Scouts is not one of those places. Gonna be a huge distraction. Also agree with tcc, if the Girl Scout curriculum is lacking (and this is the true motive behind this, and not just another PC conquest), then simply improve the GS curriculum.

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Gender neutral scouts.

3. seiowa

seiowa Senior Refuge Member

People dont take any ownership anymore, they just leave.

For the parents with girls in Girl Scouts that think its lame-talk to the organization, to your scout leaders, about your concerns. If they are limited by staffing, volunteer. If funding is keeping them back, fundraise and network (and I dont mean those GD cookies).

Imo people jump ship before they roll their sleeves up far too often. Parents make their kids switch schools when a sports or music program isn't up to par. How about become a booster volunteer? Donate your time as an assistant coach? Be what the team or program needs. To do otherwise sends a "cut and run is totally cool" message to your kids and offers zero potential to teach teamwork and shared goals.

Same with church. Some people jump ship when the youth programs don't cut it. Or when the fellowship group isn't to your liking. You don't have to be a product of seminary school to make a difference. I'm of the opinion you ought to at least TRY for internal change before jumping ship completely. If you find yourself just beating your head against the wall after going all out, then by all means leave.

If parents had put half the elbow grease into improving Girl Scouts as they did whining how bad it sucks and petitioning to join Boy Scouts instead, it'd be so awesome I'd probably sign up myself.

10GAGENUT, TheDuckSlayer, tcc and 2 others like this.
  4. seiowa

Coolest MAN, dammit.

Ducker 4 Ever likes this.
  5. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

What's next transgender scouts?

6. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

You're a bit behind.

CNN)
    The Boy Scouts of America says it will begin accepting members based on their gender identity, opening the door for transgender boys to join.
    Under the new policy, which takes effect immediately, membership in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts will be based on the gender indicated on an application.
    Previously, the organization relied on an individual's birth certificate to determine eligibility for its single-gender programs.
    "However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state," BSA spokeswoman Effie Delimarkos said in a statement Monday.
    The change brings the Boy Scouts in line with other youth organizations, including the Girl Scouts, that have created transgender-friendly membership policies in recent years.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/us/boy-scouts-transgender-membership/index.html

7. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho Moderator Flyway Manager

One has nothing to do with the other. The Girl Scouts, as I have seen it, was a money making organization who used girls to further their cause and fill their wallets. Unpaid child labor, or rather, children that "paid" to be unpaid labor. Granted I have only seen a small bit of the Girl Scouts, but what I saw was corporate America. It seemed to me that if it had had as much to do with improving the girls as it did with making money, it would be a force to be reckoned with. It's not.

The Boy Scouts however could most definitely turn out some very promising young men, making them responsible citizens. If you looked at the Fortune 500 companies there were not many that were not run by Eagle Scouts once upon a time. A little more than a year ago my wife was a Den leader, and those little boys learned some cool stuff, just like when I was a kid in Scouts. Useful stuff that got them off the couch and away from video games. Stuff that kept them coming back, eager to learn more.

There needs to be something for boys like what the "BOY" Scouts used to be. We don't have to have everything be a blend of male and female. This change was made in the hopes of increasing profits due to a decline in new boys joining. While I have little doubt that it will be an awesome opportunity for any girls that join, the boys will have lost something they will never get back.

As the father of all girls, it has never offended me that girls couldn't join the Boy Scouts.

Money. That's why it changed. Plain and simple.

8. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

First Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts are not at all the same thing if the Boy Scout Troop is run well. The older boys have much more responsibility including leadership (especially in well run Troops). I was not a boy scout, but one of my sons is and it is really good in teaching both outdoor and life skills. Most boys (especially those reaching Eagle) will have over 100 nights camping over 5-6 or so years.

I figure there were law suits, threats of law suits, etc... from parents of girls looking for a better experience that helped drive BSA to finalize the decision.

That said, BSA has offered Venture scouting for HS age kids and it is co-ed ... do not think it has caught on that much ... probably lacks good adult leaders.

The Military has been "co-ed" for some time and it works, albeit not with out many significant issues.

There will definitely need to be some guidance and new rules on both adult and youth protection. The rules are rather well defined in that two adults and/or two scouts be present in any meeting or activity ... how does co-ed impact that ??? The rules protect kids, but also protect adults from false accusations.

A good share of scouts in BSA are Mormon. They have threatened (maybe they are/will be gone soon) to leave as BSA has modernized to new world more liberal, more accepting views...

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Personally I find the "accepting" view to be a load of crap for stuff like this. What exactly is wrong with having a boys only organization, especially when there's a girls only one as well? If one sucks fix it, don't just go messing up the other one that's worked just fine for years.

GUNNERX2 likes this.
  10. seiowa

Get ready, it's the beginning of the end for any youth activity dictated by gender. This is actually a pretty timely discussion I had with a friend in a pretty relevant field a little while ago. A college roommate of mine is now an athletic director in a fairly large city, but not even a liberal nut one like Portland or something. Just larger than a one horse town, and still midwest.

He says the last 7 or 8 years, he probably meets with 2-3 sets of parents who at least initially want their child playing a sport previously exclusive to the other gender. Parents of girls who want to play football, girls who want to wrestle, boys who want to play volleyball, and in the last 10 years the school got its first male cheerleaders and dance team participants.

He said for every 10 sets of parents who want their kid in an opposite gender sport or activity, maybe 1 kid even comes close to following through with it. Part of his job is to explain the possible and sometimes inevitable negatives associated with doing such a thing tactfully. There are a lot of social, psychological, developmental and biological aspects that some of these parents don't even think about, they are so hopped up on the equality kool aid they don't even think that the gender separation might be for their own good. But he essentially has to navigate a mine field to explain things like anatomical differences, social issues like hazing and bullying - he admits that not every squad takes kindly to a non typical gender athlete in their midst, especially if that person is a better athlete and takes someones spot. Aka most teams will accept a female backup kicker, but no one wants to see their friend and team mate since Pop Warner lose his starting linebacker spot to a girl.

He said when approached in the right manner, which he admits took a while to learn, most parents seem to reluctantly "get it." The worst was a sports dad equivalent to a stage mother, who was determined to have a kid go D-1 in something, and he had 5 kids, all girls. You know the type, kept trying for the boy and never got one, evident by naming his girls things like Ryan, Parker, Peyton, Tanner, Sam :yes But anyway he wanted his oldest girl to play basketball with the varsity boys. Said school had a great boys bball program and coach, they made a legit run at state about once every 3 years and got a ton of media coverage and scout presence. Girls team was a joke, bad coach, maybe won 4-5 games a year if that. He wanted his daughter having the scout and media exposure as well as being part of a "good" team.

Maybe not the most PC answer but my buddy told that difficult dad, it would be more impressive to the college scouts to see a girl that, even if the team didn't win state, she racked up a ton of All-Conference athlete and All State Player awards as a girl even with easier competition, than to be known as a mediocre girl overshadowed by a group of very very talented boys, famous only for her gender. Because eventually at the college level, no level of parental leaning is gonna get her on a Men's d-1 team, so no one cares how she plays against men. He finally bit on that logic. He was encouraged to find venues to showcase her talents with and against more talented girls, such as summer tournament leagues, AAU teams, etc.

My A.D. friend says in 20 years high school sports in probably all states on the coasts and most north of the mason dixon will be co-ed.

Not saying I agree with it because I'm pretty sure I don't. This is all just the take of one guy I know who's been on the front lines of stuff like this a time or two.