Brine Question

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by BirdJ, Apr 19, 2017.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Have some fish soaking in liquid brine right now for smoking. After they are done and set out to dry, can I vacuum seal them and put them in the freezer for latter use? Thanks

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You can, but the extra moisture now in the meat may cause a texture problem when you defrost and cook.

BirdJ likes this.
  3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Why not smoke it, remove the bones and skin, and vacuum seal the meat. It should stay much better this way, especially if on the dry side.

4. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

I was going to smoke them right away as I normally do but the weather changed on me for the next couple of days! Rain and wind!

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

The key is how would vacuuming and freezing affect the all important "pellicle".

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Thought I would share my brine recipe. I use it for brookies and small rainbows, and Winnipeg Goldeye (favorite).

In a plastic rubbermaid container, add 1/2 gallon of water (distilled or fresh spring)
    1/2 cup kosher salt
    1/2 cup soy sauce (kikoman)
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp allspice
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp tobacco sauce
    Stir to dissolve and mix well.

Slab the fish to expose 1 side. Remove rib bones. Place fish in brine and leave in fridge for 6-8 hours (overnight works for me)
    Remove fish from brine and rinse well in fresh water.
    Place fish on racks and allow pellicle to form on surface (about an hour or so)
    Preheat the smoker to 190F
    When pellicle has formed, I grind some fresh black pepper over top and sprinkle some brown sugar on surface prior to placing in the smoker.
    I add 3 pucks of apple chips to smoker (will smoke for 1-11/2 hours). Set timer for 5 hours.
    Remove smaller 10" fish at around 4 hours, 13" fish at around 5 hours, and 16" fish after 6 hours or so.

So far, this recipe has given me reproducible results and excellent smoked fish. Brought six fish into work Tuesday morning and staff wolfed them down in minutes.

callinfowl likes this.
  7. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I suggest 3 to 4 hours to form a good pellicle. I use a strong fan which also serves to keep pesky flies off my salmon cuts.

callinfowl likes this.