Bugs and mice vs. flocking

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarkinMissouri, Feb 25, 2014.

1. MarkinMissouri

MarkinMissouri Senior Refuge Member

Going to be storing my precious "dear diary I just had the hunt of a lifetime" Dakota Flocked Head Decoys in a shed this off season. Apparently making the kids sleep outside to make room for the decoys is frowned upon in this establishment. Not going to be able to hang them. Will the mice and bugs get to the flocking?

Thanks!

2. gillbilly

gillbilly Elite Refuge Member

No they prefer layout blinds, well mine at least.

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I think your worry comes from past experiences of corn cob restle coated decoys. I heard stories of mice going after those. I have mice in the basement. They have set up housing in my shell bags, boots, coat pocket, and even the truck engine.

No decoy problems.

4. Gordy

Gordy Elite Refuge Member

Mice will get into and chew on anything. If there are mice, it is just a matter of how lucky you are. I have had them chew into hanging deke bags, when there are also bags on the ground that they never touch. I have had them chew into a bag of sand when a bag of corn is sitting next to it, untouched of course. I now use Decon in all the sheds, mice love this stuff and it almost stops all chewing.

5. Chad L.

Chad L. Senior Refuge Member

They absolutely will, I have a few flocked goose heads that got it last year. Best way to combat it is to add some mint concentrate throughout the shed to keep them out. They hate the smell and will avoid it at all cost, try adding a few sponges throughtout the space soaked with the concentration.

6. Wastinshells

Wastinshells Elite Refuge Member

would hanging the decoys in bags help?

7. Jubilee

Jubilee Senior Refuge Member

Nope doesn't help one bit:cry

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Had some full-body snow goose decoys without flocking that were stored outside in a storage area of my duck shed...

Not mice, but the rats destroyed many of these decoys just chewing on the plastic. I guess they were like big chew toys.

A few flocked mallard heads were apparently consided a delicacy, and were completely destroyed... Could not tell if it was mice or rats?

Now I store my decoys in plastic bags in areas where it is unlikely that mice or rats will get to them...

9. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Need to be diligent about using D-CON and a few traditional mouse traps and the rodent problem for the most part disappears. I keep some in the decoy shed and in the rafters where my blinds are stored.

Make sure the D-CON is kept out of reach of dogs and kids.

10. Jeff34

Jeff34 Senior Refuge Member

I put my flocked decoys in plastic tubs from Wallmart in my decoy shed. I also put two or three bars of rat poison in each layout blind and haven't had them chewed up since.