Building a duck hole.....HOW MUCH?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BayMan718, Mar 5, 2011.

1. BayMan718

BayMan718 Elite Refuge Member

looks like i might finally have a buyer for my hunting land on the eastern shore of VA...and i have a farmer an hour north of me wanting to sell me 25 acres of farmland about 3 miles from a federal refuge and a mile from major river...we have shot tons of geese out of these feilds over the years and some ducks as well...but see lots of ducks flying over the feilds and along the river...

been thinking of buying this farm land...building some dikes...make 2 impoundments..plant some corn...some pumping stations...and flood it come fall...

what kind of cost am i looking at to pull this off to make two 10 acre impoundments of flooded corn..with 4 pits on each impoundment??

this is aside for the initial investment of buying the land

if any of you have done something like this...please feel free to chime in on this..and let me know what it ran you to get a set up like this...

thanks!

2. Wingnutty

Wingnutty Elite Refuge Member

that depends on tons of factors. There are lots of different state/federal programs available for wetland restoration and/or creation. Look into that too. Might be able to get 50% or more of it paid for as long as you build a functional wetland and not just a duck killing hole.

you can pm me if you want more info on federal programs, I might be able to provide you some info depending on what you wanna do.

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

You could cut down on your costs alot by not putting in 8 pits for 20 acres. Way excessive. Have one pit per impoundment and one sled blind per impondment that you can move around with a 4-wheeler as conditions dictate. Good luck.

4. Uncle Kwacker

Uncle Kwacker Elite Refuge Member

just outside chicago there's a place called illino
    to giuve you semi accurate list of expences , you need to start with a topography and a site plan.......without this you're just guessin

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Look into renting the heavy equipment you need may save you lots $$$

6. Airdale

Airdale Senior Refuge Member

Flooded corn is great and everything, but why not build a self sustaining wetland using natural feed/vegatation such as wild rice, duck celery or similar duck foods. I would think using corn would just increase your cost because you need to farm it every year. You could make a wetland that you can manage the water level on and have it loaded with natural duck food. But I'm no expert on creating a duck hole.

7. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Even if every goose you have shot is 20#s+ I don't believe you've shot a ton of geese out of the field yet.:l:nutz

8. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

100,000 for starters...25 acres will only be enough area for one pit....I have 20 acres that I flood and we have tried two blinds and it's not enough area...we ended up working against one another...

9. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

25 acres. You can't shoot that to much or you will burn it out.

10. DucterJim

DucterJim Senior Refuge Member

Not nearly enough info given to be able to help you. What is your water source? How are you going to irrigate crop if needed. What is topography and need for land moving. Water control structures if flood irrigated??

Basically it will cost a bunch to build and significant dollars to operate. What equipment do you have??

Good luck.