Building an A frame ideas.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

I'm building two 8' blinds. I think I might build a 4' for solo hunting. Almost done with the first I'll post some pics later on.

I'm going to try the bungee rope like you said. Thanks for the help.

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

We have made the blinds out of cattle panels, grassed up and zip tied the corners together in the field. A couple of metal posts driven in the ground for support and you are ready to go. Remember, movement is the key, conceal it and you can hunt out of anything.

3. MJ1657

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

MJ1657 likes this.
  5. Steelteamsix

Steelteamsix New Member

We made a 12 foot long one with 1" PVC. Burlap with clothesline zip ties as stubble straps. Less then 70$ and we have hunted 5 out of it. It folds up to fit into the trailer and is light enough to carry and assemble with one person

Attached Files:

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  6. fowlwhacker

I posted up a pic of the 3/16" shock cord we use along with the eyelets and tool to drive the eyelets in. It is an investment but once done very easy to brush initially, add as needed or unbrush. We found the investment sink on the shock cord was a big timesaver versus removing screws and a bunch of rebar tire wire each year. Drive around with sickle bar on tractor and gas hedges cutting switch grass and putting on cart and grabbing swaths as needed and sliding it in the stretch cord. Anything to save time when there are many blinds and pit 20180801_203644.jpg s to brush.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    MJ1657 likes this.
  7. MJ1657

I've been looking for a sickle mower to mow around my food plots and such. I didn't think about how easy that would make it to get blind material.

Good thinking.

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

With that preconstructed frame work I,d simply zip tie fast grass panels to your wire . On ours we use the switch grass bundles over the fast grass panels to give height and break up profile. Bought camo stretch cords from Walmart and stretch out and hook thru fastgrass to wire. Bundles go behind those. works good and allows you to side bundles up a little higher if needed for cover.

MJ1657 likes this.
  9. fowlwhacker

Several of us bought gas hedges to cut additional grass when needed to add more. Nothing like doing a bang up job brushing a blind and someone invites a guest who feels the need to lay across the front of the blind or break all the switch grass to look out or feel they need some hole to shoot out. We always try to keep spare grass but have had to resort to using a small hand saw in a pinch so well. We are fortunate we have a good amount of switch grass growing around the farm along ditches and in the crop set aside. Folks charge quite a bit in our area for switch grass now. I used to be able to fill my truck up to the cab years ago now the want $75 to $100 a load and you don't get much.

The grass is usually filled with briares and poison ivy with us fun separating out without getting turned it exposed to poison for those allergic to it.

MJ1657 likes this.
  10. MJ1657

Very interesting.

I think I need to look into growing a couple of acres of switchgrass next year.