Building an A frame ideas.

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I've always wondered if you could make a good seasonal profit growing switch grass, cedars and pines trees, then add zip ties, burlap and you'd be set...the blind store! Ha ha

duckbuster5901 and MJ1657 like this.
  2. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

YES! I'm reading... Next to, Beside, Under, Angled, and heavy material in construction. Pardon me! But what are you thinking?
    I want big. I want very big and light and I want it to hunt wherever I choose to hunt that day!
    Reed fencing from Home Depot online. Cheap, tuff, light. Ditch bank grasses zip tied to, and you can hunt one blind ANYWHERE ALL THE TIME!
    Roll up portable 16' long. $25 plus zip ties about 35 Lbs
    IMG_1620 (1).JPG
    IMG_1624.JPG
    So, nothing beside it. Nothing angled. Nothing matched, nothing short, and I can show you a ton of pictures just like it in bare fields, snow covered fields and piles of geese in front of all. This is a hard frame blind. Hunted it for years
    IMG_1671 (1).JPG
    IMG_1502.JPG

Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    BFG likes this.
  3. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

4. Fsbirdhouse

Aluminum isn't cheap. Emt conduit in 3/4" verticals, 1/2" horizontals works quite fine.
    Young guys that hunt with me can easily pack front half one trip out and back the same 12 footer will easily seat four hunters with 3' elbow room, five on occasion. once in location, two pins ten second set up. Other than base material of reed fencing, style of design can be to taste. But hiding blind is not mandatory, beyond grassing.
    I generally hunt only those locations I can drive right to the X, but sometimes crop rotations require short pack in.

5. Easterncanadafowler

Thanks .I'm just trying to do as much as I can correctly.We don't get a lot of chances, the birds are usually educated and not lots of geese in our area.My thinking is that if we use an A frame as close to where they want to be in a field we will have a better time to know where the geese if we are not on our backs looking in one direction.I feel that every hunt if we could have shot more to one side or behind us we would have been done sooner or limited out.Oh yeah sure sometime we cannot do anything wrong and they end up in heading to the hole 15 yards out but often they slide by too.

We have some round aluminum stock and a young guy that wants to work on hus welding so we decided to fab something up in a couple weeks .I think we will do two 6' sections that get connected to each other in the middle and have doors or removable panels on each end.It is something we can do together an a project.I found some grass and can have it for free as the guy wants it cut so I m excited about that after looking for it for miles around.That switchgrass just cannot be found wild around here but I found something real close locally.I may transplant some .

My whole intent is to build something with better comfort and visibility and stand to shoot even if the geese don't come as close as if we were in layouts.The layouts to me are just super low profile and the geese come in nice but to me they are hard to get in and out of(mine is older and FA SUB).hard to see without your head stuck up and hard to shoot out when geese get behind you...Maybe im too old and too fussy.
    Terry

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  6. Easterncanadafowler

What are you using to fasten you grass to the blind ?

7. Fsbirdhouse

Zip tie Reed fencing to frame. Zip Tie grasses to Reed fencing. Good quality zip ties a must.
    This is what I use on all hinge points. Two eye bolts. Lock nuts. Washers between eyes, bolt must fill eye as close as may be, as seen here.
    IMG_1569.JPG ing

8. Fsbirdhouse

Terry,
    My blind is not one to shoot geese behind you. I sacrifice that for all other shots and comfort. The blind is 5 ft deep and so I sit in directors camp chair comfortably, then stand as birds begin to work. I have gun at ready, standing up when call is made. I can actually be aiming at birds as they work in and they don't see me until call comes to "take 'Em". Not to brag really, but friends have often called it the Taj Mahal of waterfowl blinds. It is extremely comfortable. It is however, not a wind blocker. Four hunters, two dogs easily. 12 ft blind is about $140-$160 to build.
    Build two 6 footers and simply butt together. No connectors needed. I have two 6' blinds and this 12' blind but seldom have all three in field past opening day. Often have 5 or 6 hunters tho when two butted together.
    Geese are geese and some won't finish that last 15 yards no matter what. But most ducks do, in your face!
    IMG_1800 (1).JPG

9. Easterncanadafowler

Thanks I just saw your post.We started one yesterday and should finish the frame the next evening of work.We went with black pvc and will use plastic fencing and grass as you suggested.

10. Easterncanadafowler

We decided to go with black pvc and elbows, T's and unions.The aluminum for several reason.The blind is 48" high our top opening is 28" and the bottom is 60" wide 10' long and it is made to come apart in the middle between the horizontal braces.This way so one side can be stored inside the other in my trailer easily. 4 hunters will have no problem hunting side by side from buckets or we are looking at the redneck blind chairs as an option.I may use a folding chair until the action starts and then switch to bucket due to the fact I like the back support of the chair.We will use the green fencing( in the background) OR i have some 1'" square opening galvanized fencing 48" high that we will zip to the frame then bungee or zip our ditch grass too.I found some grass around here that is 4-5' tall and should work perfectly for all the sides and up and over the top.Might even put a roof on the top of grass and wire so we cannot be seen from the air .I figure this wire bent on an angle will work well for this.What you cannot see and worked perfectly for alignment of the top joints is a 10' aluminum pipe fitting snuggly and running down each top rail the length of each side however we cut it such a way it has to be slid into the frame providing a very rigid at straight top that still comes apart in the middle top and bottom on the long side.Next step is fencing , a door or two and then grass.we open for early season in 12 Days Resized_20180821_231654_3629.jpeg

Attached Files: