Building Another Pit

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by don835, Jan 13, 2016.

1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

This time I am not going to use Duracover on top of the pit. Tired of the issues with this synthetic straw.
    I am leaning hard at sliding pit tops. 6 in fact on a 16' pit. I don't want to use garage door track and rollers either. Just thinking of keeping it simple with ease of use. Berggren has a neat set up but I can't for the life of me figure it out.
    In my mind I visualize a wood lid with some sort of guide to keep it straight when slid back. Maybe 1/2" or 3/8" plywood lid, nothing heavy. The lids will be 24" long x 32" wide. I need some more ideas on a track to slide the lids on/in. Maybe uni-strut track...dunno. What do you guys have in mind? Can you help me out here? Thanks in advance,

Murph.

2. Chris0nllyn

Chris0nllyn New Member

Maybe use kitchen cabinet sliders?

3. HuntTilDusk

HuntTilDusk Refuge Member

Maybe sliding closet door tracks? Menards might have something

4. L.Berggren

L.Berggren Senior Refuge Member

Pit Lids: I'll give you 3 choices Murph, come see for yourself, study the pictures better or call me 308-870-1641. There is no way we would use any kind of lid but these. Think of your opening to be 28" deep. Allow 30-33" per shooter. Now cut you a piece of waterproof canvas 38" for the 28" width and 36"-38" long. Go purchase fiberglass fence posts at the farm store and cut them 38". Glue or Zip tie one in the center, one on each end and split the difference each side with the last 2. Your 1st and last lid will only be 38" - 19" with only 3 fiberglass rods. Start at the end of the pit with the 1/2 lid. One screw on each outside corner. Stretch the lid out flat, then lay a full lid on next over laping the 1st lid a couple inches. One screw per side on the center rod and you have completed your 1st shooters hole.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

grnhd likes this.
  5. L.Berggren

6. L.Berggren

Shooting Deck 24' long 28" wide 3 other openings are for fast access to decoy storage. We keep 150 ducks and 450 geese decoys ready to deploy in less than 15 minutes with 4 guys.
    [​IMG]
    We no longer add the 3"*28" piece of mesh
    [​IMG]

grnhd likes this.
  7. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Steel channel and hard rubber casters would work too.

8. 10gaBBB

10gaBBB Senior Refuge Member

L.Berg......that is truly a home away from home!!!! Always enjoy the pics of your pit, the field, spreads of dekes, etc. ( Other than it makes this old fart jealous as hell! )

9. sgt duck

sgt duck Senior Refuge Member

L.Berg, could you show a picture of your pit behind were your chairs sit. Also the width and depth of your pit. Also height of step up to shooting area. We are hoping to put a pit in at our club this summer. Looking at all kinds of designs or prefab pits. Thanks Tim (sgt duck)

10. L.Berggren

Our pit is 6'-6" deep, 18'*36'. We have since added another 6' to one end for more decoy storage. The shooting deck is 28" above the lower floor, 6'-4" wide and 54" high. We step up 11" on another platform to shoot. The kitchen, TV, bathroom, work bench area is 10'-8" wide.
    [​IMG]
    Note the wood step up in front of chairs
    [​IMG]

scdiver and grnhd like this.