Building myself a new ride... (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by NCSUDucker, Aug 9, 2017.

1. SutterduckHunter

SutterduckHunter Elite Refuge Member

It's truly amazing that you crafted that hunting rig from sheets of wood. Looks great and good luck this season.

2. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

3. NCSUDucker

NCSUDucker Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Thanks a ton fellas. Glad you enjoyed! Soon enough they're be some pics with motor and test results...and of course some blood on the deck!

Brad

4. Green Duck Truck

Green Duck Truck Washington State Moderator Moderator

I'm really impressed. That might be the nicest hunting rig I've ever seen, and all done by hand. I can barely build a grilled cheese sandwich! :l Congrats on your masterpiece. :tu:tu

5. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Not bad. (meaning really, really good if you know what I mean) (note to self: aspire to build something anywhere even close to that level of skill)

I've built a couple of canoes with my dad when he was alive, but I haven't attempted anything since. I hope to retire in a couple of years, and you have inspired me to get into the woodworking shop and make a custom duck boat and I've always wanted to do a cedar strip kayak. I may even make a couple and donate one to a DU dinner. I may be sending you some PM's as the time comes closer.

Well done!

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Just a quick question. What is the reason for the 3 layers on the bottom of the hull. Could you not get by on two , especially if you are using kevlar? Did you test puncture resistance to the multiple layers or how did you come to the decision to go to three? Very curious as to reasoning. Thanks.

7. NCSUDucker

Thank you! :l

Thank you and no problem if you have any questions. As for the Kevlar, it adheres better to the epoxy/glass. As for the layer over it, you can't sand Kevlar.

Brad

8. osceoladuck

osceoladuck Refuge Member

Love your boat man. Fantastic job. I have a couple questions. Mud motor? Size? Speed?
    I would like to know what the dimensions are for the inside and outside. You said 19ft but that's it. How wide? How high? Interior size?
    Thanks

9. NCSUDucker

Thank you! It's 19'7" long, 64" on the beam, 48" on the floor, interior depth is 27.5" deep and the cockpit opening is 37" wide and a little over 13' with another 1.5' or so covered cockpit towards the bow. It is designed with a mud motor in mind, but an outboard would be fine. HP rating is 60 HP. Not sure on speed yet. My previous NFZ was only 18'3" and only about 20" deep and 60" wide. It ran 29 unloaded with a Mud Buddy 35 with mikuni carb and Q muffler. With 2 to 3 other people and gear I was usually around 24. This boat is a tall transom so I've got a new HDR 4400 on order. If I can get similar performance, I'll be happy!

Brad

osceoladuck likes this.
  10. mebe007

mebe007 New Member

How so you get your go and capacity ratings? Just curious. Awesome build.